Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learn from my mistakes...

Options
I put 4-8 pound butts on at 5:00 p.m. For a low and slow overnight cook. The temp was pretty steady by 9:00 p.m. And the Maverick was beeping for no reason(does it beep when the battery is low?) so I turned off the alarm. I woke up at midnight and the temp was up 40 degrees and I realized I had a grease fire. Of course, my drip pan that came with the A/R was not big enough to hold the drippings for 4 butts. So I foiled the butts and put them in the oven at 230 degrees and worried that they were going to taste like burnt grease. They were done when I got up at 6:00 a.m. They turned out great. They had enough smoke flavor and were so moist. The family for whom we prepared the meal was very appreciative. Every cook is such a learning experience for me. At some point, surely I will stop,running out of ways to screw up. The good thing is that the food always tastes great anyway.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would calibrate your thermometer. You should not get a grease fire at 300 or below temp. At least I never have.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    While I won't say that it's impossible to get a grease fire at below any temperature I had two butts and 3 chuck roasts on yesterday and didn't come anywhere close to where the drip pan would overflow and cause a fire. image
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit said:

I would calibrate your thermometer. You should not get a grease fire at 300 or below temp. At least I never have.

I suppose if the drippings are landing directly on the coals it could cause one(overhang or drip pan overflow).
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options

I have to ask...who eats 3 roasts and two butts?  That is a heap of meat!

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.