Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Meat Slicer - got after yesterday

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope all is well for everyone. It has been a while since I have posted, things have been crazy it seems. I still make sure I find time to fire up the BGE three of four times per week, but I guess I haven't done anything that has seemed "post worthy," even though that is not the right attitude.

I got upset earlier this week at my local grocery store. I have been buying a lot of deli meats for lunches, and when the prices went above 6 bucks per pound, I decided I was going to try my own meats. I bought a $50 meat slicer from Sam's, and then a bunch of meat. I figure if I like the slicer I can always upgrade.

I guess I have been working too much when my oldest says he wants to be like me and goes into the office and gets on the computer:

100_0402.jpg

Here are five turkey breast on the XL. Two of them were bone in, and the other three boneless. I flavored them all different to try to get some variety. I didn't watch the temp too close, but I kept it under 250 and I suppose they were on there for five or six hours. I used Hickory Chucks and Cherry Chips:

100_0404.jpg

Good smoke shot:

100_0407.jpg

I fired up the large as well. The store had a sale on pork loin. So, I cut some butterfly chops off of it and this is what was left. Threw it on over Mesquite Chucks and kept the dome under 250:

100_0406.jpg

Finally, my two young boys love ham so I put used the small as well. Hickory for smoke, and again I kept the dome under 250:

100_0403.jpg

Here on the finished shots:

100_0409.jpg

100_0411.jpg

100_0408.jpg

100_0412.jpg

It got kind of late and I got into the beer, so I didn't think it was a good time to debut the slicer. I wrapped everything in tin foil and put it in the fridge over night. I think they thought they did most of the work:

100_0415.jpg

After church this morning we had a slicing party. I took a lot longer than I would have guessed:

100_0418.jpg

Here are some of the finished product:

100_0421.jpg

My wife doesn't understand the I cooked so you clean theory, so it is still sitting on the counter.

100_0423.jpg

We got everything put into bags and in the freezer. Lunch meat should not be a problem for the next several months!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Don't worry about upgrading the slicer. I paid $35 15 years ago for mine and it still works great. Nothing like home cooked lunchmeat
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    This is exactly what I want to. My wife feels the meat cutter is too dangerous to have in a house with two young children. My mom said she will go in on with me and I can keep it at her house. ;) How did your slicer work out? Are you ready to upgrade yet? :laugh:
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Good job Dave. Sound like you saved a bunch of money. Keep it up and it will pay for more than just the slicer. ;)
  • Scott -

I am completely happy with it and at this point I don't see a reason to drop any more money on it. Since it is cheap, there are some things I didn't like, but this is probably something I will use no more than once per month. The manual said that it will shut off after 10 minutes to avoid overheating, so I would slice for 5 minutes or so, then take a break. Also, there isn't a nice area or tray for the meat to fall into, so it turned into a two person job (the wife caught the meat). But - for $50 I am happy with it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's alot of meat. That'll make for killer sandwiches! I think I'll give some turkey a try, thanks for the post.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Awesome Dave. After reading the sodium content of deli meat, I've been doing alot of my own too. I need to get an electric slicer, we borrowed one from a friend a couple of weeks ago for pit beef. Still have some in the freezer. Love smoke turkey breast, your family will have healthy, great tasting sandwiches for a long time!
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    looks like you already saved $50 & got better quality stuff. I want a meat slicer, have been looking on Craigslist. No luck yet :angry:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Nice, just wondering if you now prefer the turkey boneless or bone in as far as Egging and or slicing???

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    I have that exact model, and it's great. Never had an issue with it other than it's kinda a pain to clean. Nice unit and nice cooks!
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Bluecrab3 wrote:
    I have that exact model, and it's great. Never had an issue with it other than it's kinda a pain to clean. Nice unit and nice cooks!

I've had one for a few years now and it's still going strong. One of the first things I did was peel the stainless steel cover off of the carriage. It is attached with double sided sticky tape. Once it's removed, you can get underneath it and clean the gunk that gets underneath a lot better. The stainless cover can be pressed back into place, and once the sticky tape is gone the cover can be removed anytime for cleaning.
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    thats what I have been looking for. got the food saver, just need the slicer. looks great.
  • My son has a slicer, think I'll try a ham and turkey, your cook looks great! :)
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that's how you do it! nice job.
    context is important :)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Dave, that amount of food would last me a lifetime, lol. Everything looks so much better than you could buy in the grocery. :)

Seems as if everyone has a meat slicer.....gotta put one on my wish list, especially for my bacon.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Probably, 40 yrs. ago, my parents got a commercial grade Hobart for $100. I have it, still running and now people have offered $2000 for it. Thanks for the pics.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thanks Dave, I showed my wife your post and she is now thinking a slicer would be a good thing to have. I will start looking at the options that are out there.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • I know this is a zombie thread but any chance any of you guys with this slicer are still around and still using it?

XLBGE 
  • looks really good. just another great idea of how to get creative with the egg
  • Mine still works great, the product is way superior to store bought lunch meat, worth the investment. I got mine at Lowes
  • I have a slicer just like the one you have and I wouldn't take nothing for mine, You can buy some for much more but I'm not a pro and I don't need anything better.. Good luck  Cajun

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Fantastic. One item as yet unmentioned is that this is not 'processed' deli meat that is loaded with un-pronouncable chemicals that are bad for us. I am sure it will also taste better.

Congratulations!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• So going to do this...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Looks great.  I have the same style slicer.  Here is a tip - I spray Pam on the "slider bar" to make it easier to move the meat back and forth. It makes all the difference in the world. 
    Milton, GA.