Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New Meat Slicer - got after yesterday

Iowa State EggerIowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope all is well for everyone. It has been a while since I have posted, things have been crazy it seems. I still make sure I find time to fire up the BGE three of four times per week, but I guess I haven't done anything that has seemed "post worthy," even though that is not the right attitude.

I got upset earlier this week at my local grocery store. I have been buying a lot of deli meats for lunches, and when the prices went above 6 bucks per pound, I decided I was going to try my own meats. I bought a $50 meat slicer from Sam's, and then a bunch of meat. I figure if I like the slicer I can always upgrade.

I guess I have been working too much when my oldest says he wants to be like me and goes into the office and gets on the computer:

100_0402.jpg

Here are five turkey breast on the XL. Two of them were bone in, and the other three boneless. I flavored them all different to try to get some variety. I didn't watch the temp too close, but I kept it under 250 and I suppose they were on there for five or six hours. I used Hickory Chucks and Cherry Chips:

100_0404.jpg

Good smoke shot:

100_0407.jpg

I fired up the large as well. The store had a sale on pork loin. So, I cut some butterfly chops off of it and this is what was left. Threw it on over Mesquite Chucks and kept the dome under 250:

100_0406.jpg

Finally, my two young boys love ham so I put used the small as well. Hickory for smoke, and again I kept the dome under 250:

100_0403.jpg

Here on the finished shots:

100_0409.jpg

100_0411.jpg

100_0408.jpg

100_0412.jpg

It got kind of late and I got into the beer, so I didn't think it was a good time to debut the slicer. I wrapped everything in tin foil and put it in the fridge over night. I think they thought they did most of the work:

100_0415.jpg

After church this morning we had a slicing party. I took a lot longer than I would have guessed:

100_0418.jpg

Here are some of the finished product:

100_0421.jpg

My wife doesn't understand the I cooked so you clean theory, so it is still sitting on the counter.

100_0423.jpg

We got everything put into bags and in the freezer. Lunch meat should not be a problem for the next several months!

Comments