Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg mate

Options
Got a LBGE, was leaning towards a small, now I see a lot of mini's, .. Can't decide.... Will use camping and as second cooker , mostly just the two of us. Comments...?
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• golfandgrill
    Options
    i have a small and I love it. Small enough to move, and you can do quite a bit of stuff on it too.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    For the two of you, and camping - get a mini. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get the Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    Options
    I got both. Love the mini for the family cook and camping or picnic or anywhere where portability is needed. Love the small to complement Large for big cooks.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I can't comment on the mini but I love the Large/small combo.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Bustersdad
    Options
    I've got the large/small combo as well. The small is portsble enough for camping and tailgating
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Just two people, portability.................mini.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • ChuckChampion
    Options
    Mini is the hot thing right now. Everyone who owns one loves em
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'd take my small over my mini any day. Large enough to be practical for most cooks but still small enough to be portable.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Keep it going. One or the other is in my future.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    My question is how many Ember style pork chops can be put on a mini vs a.small . I miss going there.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    GK59 said:
    My question is how many Ember style pork chops can be put on a mini vs a.small . I miss going there.

I can get 3 this size and a hair smaller get 4 on the Mini. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Both are very good options. I would say that the biggest determining factor would be how you cook. If you are primarily cooking just the meat/main course and prepping the other parts of the meal in the kitchen or somewhere else go with the mini. 

I went with the small because even if I am just cooking for the two of us I almost inevitably throw a couple of potatoes on and the small has just enough space to do that along with a couple really nice sized pieces of meat on at the same time. It is amazing how much lump that I've saved by getting smaller Eggs instead of firing up the LBGE every time to cook something. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Thanks, think n the small to travel and help out when the gang comes buy, parties, holidays
    Pure Michigan
  • otter
    Options
    GK59, I still haven't done the Ember's pork chops, need to try them.
    Pure Michigan
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Otter you'll need to make peas & peanuts to.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• otter
    Options
    Bought all the stuff for peas and peanuts, but got into the peanuts... I like them too, will make for Thanksgiving. 
    Pure Michigan