Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help with Anova

Options
Just got everything set for a trial "dry" run. Every time I plug the unit it, it makes a faint zapping or similar electrical noise, sorta like a bug hitting one of those purple bug lights. The screen flashes on, then off for a split sec, then stays on. It's running right now and seems ok. Is that the normal behavior when first turning it on?
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Mine does the same thing... Works like a charm. :)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Thanks. Hopefully that doesn't mean we BOTH got defects...LOL. I'll prolly still call them tomorrow to be sure
    Rome, GA
  • jtippers
    Options
    Ok, please let me know how they respond... I'll be curious what they say.

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    will do!
    Rome, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Pick mine up tomorrow - thanks for the post, I know what to expect - maybe. 
    @krobertsman - if you find something out would appreciate the info, thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    I called Anova and they say this is normal, "everything is turning on". I wonder why other electrical devices turn on smoothly...It is covered by 1 yr warranty as they reminded me. Hopefully it will be fine.
    Rome, GA
  • jtippers
    Options
    Thanks! That is good to know. I had assumed that was the case, but I am glad to have the reassurance!

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    How is everyone liking the Anova?  That's what is top of my Christmas list.  Hope I'm not making a mistake. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• jtippers
    Options
    I still love mine!

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    "Dry" run went well. It took about 15 min to reach 145 temp. It kept temp firmly on 145 for sev hrs. I will try a real cook in a couple days
    Rome, GA
  • Angus1978
    Options
    I got mine Tuesday....made chicken breasts from Frozen.  They had a good flavor, and better than usual consistency, but we weren't impressed.   I guess I'm cleaning out the freezer because some thin pork-chops are on the agenda tonight and some round steaks tomorrow night that my wife bought (she thought they were ribeyes,  I didn't marry her for her cow acumen apparently).   I can't wait to put fresh food in it come the weekend.

I did cook greenbeans and broccoli, at 180 for one hour....I found them "Snappy" and with good flavor but they looked like I had steamed the crap out of them (ie dull, dark green in color)

Oh well, that's my 2 day old experience with my Anova, thought I'd share
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@Angus1978 - love it thanks... good or bad I appreciate the feedback and any tips you learn.  I need a couple sure fire winners out of the gate if it does show up from Santa.  Wife is a little skeptical of my desire for another kitchen gadget.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

I think a filet done for 2 hours at 130 degrees then seared with montreal seasoning on the egg is great starter. Chicken breasts followed with some seasoning (Tsunami spin is good) then sear is also good.

@Angus - your comment on veggies getting wierd color is spot on. I have yet to learn which veggies would be best compltimented by the SV.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Best veggie has been the common carrot. I have done three cooks, all with carrots so I'm not really being too objective here, temps were 183º and 189º. We liked the 189º so we used it twice. 

Setting up for some chicken this weekend. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!