Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey just started

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
I just put on a 11.5lb turkey following Mad Max's recipe about 1/2 hr ago. I didn't take any pics during prep as I was in a hurry. I'll snap some when I baste. This is a trial run for T-Day, first whole turkey I've done so far.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• DMW
    Options
    Here it is 1 hr in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Lookin good.  Keep us posted

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    link to recipe?
  • DMW
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Oh, yeah, @DMW, please keep us in the loop on this cook!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DMW
    Options
    Here's the stock cooking down. House smells amazing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Wow, this little guy is cooking fast. Thigh is at 172° and breast is 156° and it's just under 2 hours in. My egg is wanting to run around 350° and I haven't had time to tweak it (work getting in the way). Really glad I did a trial run as I would have assumed much longer. I will probably go with a slightly larger bird for T-Day, but nowhere near a 21 lb like Mad Max's recipe.

Edit - scratch that, my probe on my Mav must be positioned wrong or something. I just checked temps with my Thermapen and still around 145° Breast. Really glad I have the Thermapen.

Edit - Re-positioned the Mav probe in the breast and now it's showing 140° same as my Thermapen in the same spot. My other wireless therm that was in the thigh (some cheap no-name I've had for over a year) is clearly off. Probing the same spot with the thermapen wasn't even close. Will need to test all my probes after this in boiling water.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• ChuckChampion
    Options
    Looks really good!
  • DMW
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Just pulled it off. Its tented and resting. Now time to try making the gravy.

Edit - OK, I didn't realize how involved that gravy is. Won't be doing it now...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lookin good!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good. Can you share how long that bird took? I have turykey duty this year for a 1:00 meal. Want to make sure I give myself plenty of time.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    Options
    @tulocay, took a bit over 3 hrs total indirect on the egg at 325°-350° Thermapen was probing 160° in the breasts and close to 180° in the thigh. I'm going to allow a 20 min rest before cutting into it to see how it looks. Joints seem to be free, all juices seem to be clear.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @DMW... Edit man.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Ok, don't go by my timing as reported. The breast was done, dark meat not. Carved the breast meat off, now its in the oven to finish the dark. Glad this one wasn't for the big day. Thinking I might just spatchcock.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    DMW said:
    Ok, don't go by my timing as reported. The breast was done, dark meat not. Carved the breast meat off, now its in the oven to finish the dark. Glad this one wasn't for the bid day. Thinking I might just spatchcock.

Yep
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Man that looks good! Are you using a Large BGE?  How large of a turkey could you use in a LBGE with this set-up?
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• DMW
    Options
    @chashans I have an XL. BGE claims 2 20lb for an XL. A setup like this I could definitely got with much larger than this. However I don't see how you could get 2 birds on there if they were in roasting pans.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• chashans
    Options
    Will you freeze some/all of this bird? I mean, that is a lot of turkey to be eating before the end of the month. So my question is...does BGE cooked turkey freeze well?  Thanks.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Put the legs towards the hinge next time. The hot zone will get the legs done in time.

Also, did you ice the breasts?
  • DMW
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @chashans Some will be given away, some will be vacuum sealed and frozen. To answer your question, I do turkey breast roasts, then cool, slice, freeze in small piles. Then I vacuum seal each "stack" in Foodsaver bags. Each Sunday night we get a pack out and put it in the fridge. Lunch meat for the kiddos for the week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options

Put the legs towards the hinge next time. The hot zone will get the legs done in time.

Also, did you ice the breasts?

I did ice the breasts. I missed (forgot) the part about putting the legs back. I turned it about 1/2 way through. Will start out with legs back next time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• chashans
    Options
    DMW said:
    @chashans Some will be given away, some will be vacuum sealed and frozen. To answer your question, I do turkey breast roasts, then cool, slice, freeze in small piles. Then I vacuum seal each "stack" in Foodsaver bags. Each Sunday night we get a pack out and put it in the fridge. Lunch meat for the kiddos for the week.
    Good stuff!  Thank you.

• cortguitarman
    Options
    I really want to try this. Was it worth the effort?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Put the legs towards the hinge next time. The hot zone will get the legs done in time. Also, did you ice the breasts?
    +1. Last year,  when i smoked a bird on my drum smoker,  i placed the bird perpendicular to the pan underneath it (which was on a lower rack).  The breast was indirect,  thighs were direct and i even had some drippings.  Breast was iced beforehand. With the egg,  take advantage of the hotspot at the back.  Position the platesetter so that it is "open" in the back  i.e.  one foot towards the handle,  making a Y when you look down into the egg. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    Options
    @cortguitarman Yes, I think it was worth it. I just made the gravy a bit ago, and wow, that was nice. I'm willing to put in a few cooks to get this right. It won't be a nightly cook for sure, but I want the first T-Dat from the Egg to impress, including presentation. If I was just doing it to eat, I would spatchcock it for sure.

@caliking That's a great idea to position the fire ring and platesetter like that. I always have mine setup with the open side toward the front so the hot spot is blocked by the platesetter.

This place is great, thanks guys!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @DMW if you spatchcock the next bird you do not ice the breast.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If the thigh was at 180 IT, it should have been done. Am I missing something?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    This is a great thread. Thanks for the info. I'm planning in the same deal for t day.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    Options
    @Terrebandit When I probed the thigh near the joint, it wasn't at 180°. I thought it was a fluke because it was hitting the bone. It wasn't a fluke, it just wasn't done. However, after carving the breast meat off and putting the rest in the oven for about an hour, it was perfect. Delicious and since the presentation really didn't matter tonight (most ended up in the freezer) no big deal.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Thanks.... 70% sure first cook will be on T day, and all will work out. @-)
    Seattle, WA