Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What will you NOT eat?

I was inspired to ask this from a prior thread. Most of us (I think) love food, will try new things and will try just about anything and when served at a dinner party, Now, I'm not interested in trying a rotten Duck egg that's been buried for 4 months nor am I interested in Sea Cucumber (tried it, nasty stuff).

So what's a common food stuff that you just cannot stomach - no matter how it's prepared?

For me:

Beets
Liver (beef), chicken liver I'll tolerate as long as bacon is involved
Okra

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    liver dont go down the pipes, it even ruins the bacon. now liverwurst is fine, go figure
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Canned tuna or any kind of canned meat. Gross. I can't stand the smell of any kind of canned green vegetable either. I'm not into the whole raw fish deal either.

I love pig snoots though! Brain, liver, whatever, I'll eat but I don't necessarily enjoy it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    pretty sure I wouldn't eat hakarl. According to Wikipedia "

Hákarl is traditionally prepared by gutting and beheading a Greenland or basking shark and placing it in a shallow hole dug in gravelly sand, with the now cleaned cavity resting on a small mound of sand. The shark is then covered with sand and gravel, and stones are placed on top of the sand in order to press the shark. In this way the fluids are pressed out of the body. The shark ferments in this fashion for 6–12 weeks depending on the season.

Following this curing period, the shark is then cut into strips and hung to dry for several months. During this drying period a brown crust will develop, which is removed prior to cutting the shark into small pieces and serving."

Anthony Bourdain described it as "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he has ever eaten.

I'm out, no thanks.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Brains, mountain oysters, liver, and like stlcharcoal no raw fish at all. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • seal
    seal Posts: 13
    Liver - any kind.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Not a fan of mussels, brain, tripe. Its a texture thing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Lutefisk

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Cincinnati chili.

"You'd be better off being hit by a car"

• Organ meats of any kind, unless it is steak and kidney pie - wait maybe that's because of the Guinness used to wash it down - does that still count?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Scrapple!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mayonnaise out of a jar and organs (except for beef bone marrow if you consider that an organ.  I don't, I consider it awesomeness). 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • I'm Scandanavian and Lutfisk sucks. Not into many organ meats but chicken hearts ground up work well in lasagna. Cincinnati Chili? Don't hate it. Raw fish? I can eat my weight in sushi EXCEPT Uni..tastes and feels like snot. Not into brains and sweetbreads. Testicles of any type are a big nyet.

@Griffin: I think everyone can agree that Hakarl is just plain wrong.

This is fun and highly un-productive!

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Shellfish - crab, lobster, shrimp.  I was born in Maine, they kicked me out.

Tomatoes - the texture is snot.  But, I love the taste... so salsa, even fresh salsa, I love.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • liver dont go down the pipes, it even ruins the bacon. now liverwurst is fine, go figure
    I love Braunschwager (sic) and Pate...Only eat it during the holiday season. Menudo I tried and just couldn't deal with the "pop" of the intestines..flavor of the broth was great, though...
  • So it looks like liver is leading the pack.

@Kristi: never tried Marrow. I will one of these days.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Ok, I just picked up my 1/2 steer last night. None of the others wanted the tails or heart or liver. I took it all, have 1 heart, 3 tails, and 10 packs of liver. I don't recall having liver before, but my mom says we used to have it when I was young. Trying to figure out if there is anything I can use it for. It just seems like a waste to toss about 15lbs of meat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Egg Salad.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Liver, think about what has been through it, gross.

Scrapple, I'm not eating anything that has the word 'crap' in it.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• caliking
    @DMW - cut the heart into strips and season with salt, cumin, and cayenne. Grill/sear. Dress with some lime juice after grilling. Had something similar at a Peruvian restaurant and it was delightful. 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Ditto on internal organs.........................
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited November 2013
    Things that are still alive

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Liver, most offal
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mayonnaise out of a jar and organs (except for beef bone marrow if you consider that an organ.  I don't, I consider it awesomeness). 
    Nah, it's a tissue. But it is awesome. It's where hematopoiesis happens.
  • Among the aforementioned, I don't like eggs unless they're scrambled.  Weird, I know...

Sushi good.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Testicles or penis from any animal period end of story 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • caliking
    @Eggcelsior - you get the award for first ever  mention of hematopoiesis on a bbq forum.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I love liver, my wife calls it my little treat before dinner when I snatch a chicken and throw the liver on with some dizzy pig. 
    SO TASTY!
    One of my favorites is if I had a hard day of consuming alcoholic beverages I will get fried chicken livers the next day. It replenishes my liver and I'm a new person.

Now Tripe is something I will not get near

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Veal, for purely philosophical reasons. I've seen how it is raised and I don't like the confinement treatment.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    TUTTLE871 said:
    I love liver, my wife calls it my little treat before dinner when I snatch a chicken and throw the liver on with some dizzy pig. 
    SO TASTY!
    One of my favorites is if I had a hard day of consuming alcoholic beverages I will get fried chicken livers the next day. It replenishes my liver and I'm a new person.

Now Tripe is something I will not get near
    Which DP rub do you like on liver?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker