Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trial Run - Christmas Ham

Options
Hey guys,

I was inspried by @Griffin again with his smoked ham method on his blog.  I had some Crown Royal Maple at the house and wanted to incorporate that into the ham in some way.  So I did was the internet was created for and used a recipe from Egret and his world famous ham!

I started with a bone-in spiral cut pre-cooked ham.  It was just over 9.5 lbs and was just under $40 at Publix.

First time trying to inject anything so I wasn't sure how well it would turn out.  Here is a picture of the ham just after I injected it with maple syrup.

I made the paste from Egret's recipe substituting the regular whiskey with my Maple Crown Royal and took a quick (and terrible) picture:

Now for the ham after the paste was applied:

I had the Egg at 225 with some apple and cherry chunks:

I normally don't open the Egg during a cook but wanted to see how it was looking and to get a picture (about 3/4 done):

and the finished product!!!

Now I've been used to eating slices of deli ham for lunches and Honey Baked Ham Company for Christmas for a VERY long time so I've never really been in love with a "traditional" ham.  I've got to admit that this ham might have changed my mind.  The meat was moist, tender and full of flavor.  

I found that 2 tbsp of fresh ground pepper in the paste to be too much heat for the folk around here.  I'll probably pull back on that a bit and add something else to even it out.  With that said, it was still really delicious and gobbled up quickly by the crowd.

Thanks to @Griffin and Egret for the motivation and recipe!

Feel free to let me know what ya'll think!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks real good. Don't know how I motivated you. I just smoked mine naked and @Mickey was the one who inspired me to do that. No glaze or nuthin'.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    StellarEvo  The injection part on spiral ham is what your FINGERS are made for.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Looks real good. Don't know how I motivated you. I just smoked mine naked and @Mickey was the one who inspired me to do that. No glaze or nuthin'.

Your not going to hurt my feels buddy. How was it?

I will be doing  a Naked Ham with the turkey for T-day....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Love ham around the holidays. Makes for killer leftovers. Yours looks mighty fine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I saw that it really wasn't that hard of a process.  I figured something like a ham would be pretty complicated.  Saw the process you too and and tweaked it up.

It's not too difficult to say "I've not done that before and it seems like something that is above my skill level." Then you see it and realize "hey, that's not too bad...I can do that!"  That's how your blog motivated me to do it.
  • ajridge35
    Options
    @StellarEvo What temp did you take the ham to and roughly how long did it take?
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    ajridge35 said:
    @StellarEvo What temp did you take the ham to and roughly how long did it take?
    Forgot to mention that in the main post...sorry!

I took it 140 and it took about 4 hours to get there.  I did the injection and paste the day before and let the ham sit at room temperature while I got the Egg fired up and stabilized.
  • ajridge35
    Options
    Awesome thanks