Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crock pot favorites?

Options
2»

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2013
    Options
    i hear that after the FDA finalizes their ban on trans fats they are going to mandate healthy beans in chili in texas
    Well, isn't that just special !  Then, we'll be like the rest of you all.  We'll have to cut the crust off our finger sandwiches and have petit fours for dessert.  We'll probably have to use gruyere cheese on our TexMex.  Maybe, Ill egg something for high tea.  

Edit:  There is (and has been) a push for Texas to secede from the U.S.  I think a ban like this would push us over the edge.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Can of Black Beans, Jar of your favorite salsa, some frozen chicken breasts enjoy. We eat them on whole wheat tortilla shells but if your watching the carbs you can always add it to the top of a salad.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    i hear that after the FDA finalizes their ban on trans fats they are going to mandate healthy beans in chili in texas
    Well, isn't that just special !  Then, we'll be like the rest of you all.  We'll have to cut the crust off our finger sandwiches and have petit fours for dessert.  We'll probably have to use gruyere cheese on our TexMex.  Maybe, Ill egg something for high tea.  
    You make the scones and I'll bring the clotted cream for Salado. Maybe Mickey will throw down for some strawberries and cream and we can dress in our best Championship whites. Damn if we aren't all anglophiles.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options

Here is one we did on Monday. pretty easy, healthy and tasted great.  We've had it on rice, salad and in tortillas. Leftovers were great on buns too. It was nice coming home from work with dinner ready.

1.5-2 pounds chicken breasts (for this, we use boneless and skinless, although I like-bone-in, skin-on the Egg)
    1 cup salsa
    1 cup petite diced canned tomatoes
    2 tablespoons taco seasoning
    1 cup diced onions
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup shredded or diced carrots
    3 tablespoons sour cream (reduced fat works OK)

After cooking, shred chicken and add sour cream.

You can add other stuff, like black beans, etc.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    edited November 2013
    Options

Edit:  There is (and has been) a push for Texas to secede from the U.S.  I think a ban like this would push us over the edge.
    you could always come up to new england for some yankee chili, no beans but i have to warn you about the fish sauce
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    For chili I've been using a combo of kidney, black and garbanzo beans.  Real chili has beans, anything else is hot dog gravy (which I still happen to love).
    The International Chili Society would like a word. They brought a rope.
    To expand a bit on Eggy's statement, here is a link of recipes of the winners of the INTERNATIONAL Chili Cooking Contests in Terlingua Texas.  I don't believe you will see the word "bean" in any of them.

For something that is supposed to be international, there are way too many texan winners an board members.  Sounds like some type of anti-bean conspiracy to me.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Village Idiot
    Options
    For something that is supposed to be international, there are way too many texan winners an board members.  Sounds like some type of anti-bean conspiracy to me.
    That's because Texans don't put beans in their chili.  Duh !!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    For chili I've been using a combo of kidney, black and garbanzo beans.  Real chili has beans, anything else is hot dog gravy (which I still happen to love).
    The International Chili Society would like a word. They brought a rope.
    To expand a bit on Eggy's statement, here is a link of recipes of the winners of the INTERNATIONAL Chili Cooking Contests in Terlingua Texas.  I don't believe you will see the word "bean" in any of them.

Nope Rules is Rules.

The Rules and Regulations for cooks at the World’s Championship, State, Regional and District Cookoffs are as follows:

1.  Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,
    cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA
    which are strictly forbidden.

2. Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked
    with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which
    are strictly forbidden.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Event/event_rules.asp

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    the international chili society
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Its the American way. Like the "World Series" in baseball. Deal with it :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I was just about to say that its time to secede... again.

[these folks put beans in their chili... can't get anything right].

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    caliking said:
    I deal with it just fine thank you.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    caliking said:
    I deal with it just fine thank you.
    That is some good looking meat and bean stew!
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I whipped up some boiled peanuts in a crockpot yesterday. Took several hours, but came out good.
    Gittin' there...
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    I honestly like chili both ways (or whatever you wanna call it)...with or without beans. :) But I don't see how beans RUIN a good pot of chili. Just bulks it up some IMHO. In all seriousness, and this coming from a non-Texan without the knowledge of the sacrilegiousness of it all....LOL...do the beans actually take away from the flavor of chili? I guess some people just do not like the taste of beans, and I get that. But for those of you opposed, I am curious: is it the flavor, texture, tradition, or something else that has you opposed to adding beans? A curious mind wants to know. :)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @Dyal_SC I think most of the broohaha is Texas pride talking.  It's kinda like putting steak sauce on an Egged hamburger ... it would taste good, but it's just not done.

This should take the wind out of some Texans' sails.  Most people would agree that chili originated on the old cattle trails from Texas to Kansas.  That's why we think we "own" chili.  Cattle were the cash crop, so the cowboys weren't anxious to slaughter a steer for eating, so most of the chili was made primarily with beans.  If they could shoot a rabbit or armadillo, then they'd have some meat in the chili, but otherwise, it was primarily beans.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Now who needs to be kicked out of Texas?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Now who needs to be kicked out of Texas?
    Sorry, TOTN.  Sometimes, it's painful to tell the truth.  It wasn't until Mickey accidentally threw some of his burnt brisket into the chili pot in the late 1920's did putting beef in chili catch on.  Someone told him "you don't know beans about chili", so he meticulously took out all of the beans.  The rest is history.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Okay, now that the myth has been shattered, I'll confess... Mrs. TOTN (a Quebec-born Canadian) makes chili with beans and I eat (and enjoy) it with a big smile on my face.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    =)) That was a good one, VI!!! I didn't realize @Mickey was that old. I'll hafta pay him more respect from now on. ;)
  • caliking
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    ... is it the flavor, texture, tradition, or something else that has you opposed to adding beans? A curious mind wants to know. :)
    A little of all of the above. 

But the real reason is:

Beans,  beans... 
    The magical fruit 
    The more you eat
    The more you toot! 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Our version growing up..

Beans, beans

They're good for your heart.

The more you eat, the more you fart!

The more you fart, the better you feel.

So eat beans for every meal!

Obviously not the version kids learn in Tejas.

Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone, I learned both versions.
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone, I learned both versions.

I would have thought the phrase "Git a rope!" uttered by gun-toting Texans everytime somebody mentions beans and chili in the same sentence would have scared the kids off the version touting "eat beans for every meal".
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    Options
    I would have thought the phrase "Git a rope!" uttered by gun-toting Texans everytime somebody mentions beans and chili in the same sentence would have scared the kids off the version touting "eat beans for every meal".
    For the record, it should be noted that TOTN moved out of the state :D

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    caliking said:
    For the record, it should be noted that TOTN moved out of the state :D
    That's true @caliking. But, as you may know, you can take the man out of Texas but you can't take the Texas out of the man. Mrs. TOTN is looking forward yo our moving down there in the next couple of years.