Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Daisy wheel

Is the daisy wheel on the LBGE the same as the one on the XLBGE?
XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
·

Comments

• M, L and XL are the same.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • KruegsKruegs Posts: 124
    Thanks!
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    edited November 2013
    You don't need it for any cook under 275.
  • Tjcoley said:
    You don't need it for any cook under 275.
    True - but, you can use it and ignore the lower vent. Me, I'm lazy and don't like to bend over, so I leave the lower vent pretty much wide open except for cooks under 300º and use the daisy to dial in the desired temp. The egg is based on air flow and it does not care wether you control the air at the inlet or the outlet, air flow control is air flow control. Some excellent cooks like Tj and Mickey use only the lower vent, many others use only the top vent. Whatever works for you. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,266
    edited November 2013
    All three of mine are in the garage. Just don't ever use them. The lower vent can do it all for me.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 1,756
    I use the daisy wheel for low and slows and to help with smoking. The other 95% of the time the daisy wheel sits in the garage untouched
    ·
  • I use my daisy wheel in conjunction with my DigiQ DX2 once the egg reaches set temp I close the daisy wheel and it's locked on temp ,I have found that if I make any adjustments to the wheel the temp goes over set temp 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·