Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Props where they are due...

jtippersjtippers Posts: 510
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
So... today I discovered Griffin's Grub & Necessary Indulgences. All I can say is... WOW! These folks rock...

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/

http://necessaryindulgences.com/

Tonight for dinner I used @Griffin 's recipe for a chicken pot pie. I didn't cook it in the egg, but it was fantastic none the less. I even scored some wow points of my own with SWMBO due the tip he gave about cutting out shapes with the extra pie crust.

Tomorrow night is @NecessaryIndulg 's Roasted Cauliflower with Gruyère Sauce. It will accompany a rack of spare ribs, or maybe a whole turkey breast. I haven't decided yet. But either way, I can't wait to try it as well!

Thanks guys!!! People like you are part of the reason this forum is so great!

LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
·

Comments

• CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,515
    That's a great looking pie!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 510
    Thanks @Cookinbob! That was a great tasting pie as well... SWMBO declared it would be a Winter-time staple at our house moving forward.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920

I learned everything @henapple could teach me (except for his appreciation for PBR). Then I went out and really learned some stuff. :P

Glad you and SWMBO'ed liked the pie. Mrs. G made a different one on Sunday. Was not nearly as good as that one. :(

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Thank you, jtippers!  :\">

Love the pie!  And nice job on scoring points!!  
    I can't wait to hear what you think of the Cauliflower & Gruyère... it goes very well with a bottle of red. ;)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,423
    Griffin said:

I learned everything @henapple could tell each me (except for his appreciation for PBR). Then I went out and really learned some stuff. :P

Glad you and SWMBO'ed liked the pie. Mrs. G made a different one on Sunday. Was not nearly as good as that one. :(

That cut me deep.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • @henapple:  some people just don't appreciate PBR the way we do.  More for us! ;)
    ·
    Aw come on @henapple , you know I'm kidding. Hopefully we can sit down at Salado this year and trade off some Lone Stars and some PBRs and get a deeper appreciation and understanding of each other and beers. :D

Richardson, Texas

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,295
    Griffin said:
    Aw come on @henapple , you know I'm kidding. Hopefully we can sit down at Salado this year and trade off some Lone Stars and some PBRs and get a deeper appreciation and understanding of each other and beers. :D
    Don't forget about the scarves. Damn hipsters and their swill.
    ·
  • New2QNew2Q Posts: 164
    They still sell PBR?  I thought the EPA shutdown the Pabst brewery for the toxic waste that's produced by the brewery…and then shipped across the country in cans and bottles. :D

·
  • @NecessaryIndulg  So Kristi, how do I make the Gruyère Sauce?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    The Roasted Cauliflower with Gruyère Sauce was great! Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the rest of the meal.

I tried to roll a rack of spare ribs like Dyal did earlier this week on his Mini... Except, I did mine on the Small. Cooked with the 3-2-1 method like I always do... But for whatever reason, they were way overcooked. Oh well, lesson learned. I cook my ribs flat from now on.

In short, Thanks Kristi for the highlight of our dinner!
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,957
    @jtippers - they were likely overcooked because of the time spent in foil (they get braised). Less time in foil might help. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    Hmm... Thanks for the advice. I may try this again at some point just for educational purposes... :)
    ·
    You foiled the ribs rolled?
    ·
    edited November 2013
    Yup...
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,413
    All these props being thrown around and ain't nobody thanked or mentioned Travis yet!!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
    I haven't tried Travis' brisket method yet... But it is on my list.
    ·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2013
    @NecessaryIndulg  So Kristi, how do I make the Gruyère Sauce?
    Hi @SmokinDAWG82!  THIS is how I do it. 

@jtippers -- looks scrumptious! :D 
    ·
  • @Neccessaryindulg Kristi that sounds wonderful I booked marked you recipe and going to make it tonight can't wait !!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • @jtippers I agree with you, I've tried a few recipes too from these fine folks, and all of them were good. Be sure to try the 4-cheese mac&cheese from Kristi.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • @necessaryindulg Kristi I made uour recipe image
    image.jpg 1.8M
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • @necessaryindulg kristi that recipe was amazing as you said everybody was licking their plates thank you for sharing it was wonderful you Killed it 
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • I'm so glad everyone loved it!  :D 
    ·
  • In addtion to Jason and Kristi's sites for great photos and recipes, you might also check out www.nibblemethis.com.  This is another one I like to keep an eye on. 

·

Yes, definitely check out Chris's site NibbleMeThis. He posts here from time to time and is a stand up guy. He's helped me out a bunch, given me tips and even did a guest post for me a few years back when I was in Germany.

There are a ton of other great, even better, cooks here. Most people just don't run a blog to keep track of it. VI, Travis, Cen-Tex, Mickey, some short guy from Canada and too many more to name. I'm in awe of a bunch of people here.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Thanks @Griffin... I've always enjoyed cooking and sharing it with others. BTW, I'm just short of 6'3" so please don't refer to me as the "short guy"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    The other short Canuck @TexanOfTheNorth. ;)

Richardson, Texas

·
    I cook a mean 12 pack of PBR..
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,498

"I cook a mean 12 pack of PBR.. "

That is @henapple speak for "I'll share my case with just about anyone."

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·