Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lovely Leftovers

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This evening, after spending my next 5 years salary on a new car, I enjoyed some leftover pork ribs prepared yesterday by chef Smokin' Todd. These things were cooked with no dry rub or seasonings until some Stubbs marinade was put on after 3 hours in the cook then some more Stubbs while they rested. I don't know why this happens, but it seems that many times having smoked foods the next day produces an even more smokey flavor. It's like the ribs were marinading in smoke in my fridge! I enjoyed these with that simple Memphis Magic Q sauce recipe from Smoke and Spice. I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested, but it's basically half tomato sauce, half vinegar plus some additional stuff that I always have laying around (butter, onions, salt, pepper, sugar, worchesershire,cayenne). This has been my standard dipping sauce the past month or so since it's so easy to make and since I love the fresh taste of homemade Q sauce. I really enjoy the strong bite of vinegar in this sauce that is not available in most store bought sauces in lovely NJ. Based on the success with this sauce, I may have to graduate to something with more complex flavors and ingredients like JJ's sauce, but this one's a good start.[p]Anyway, my long winded point: ribs gooooooooooood. leftover ribs goooooooooooood. homemade q sauce goooooooooooooood. car payments and NJ insurance BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!![p]Poorfed

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cornfed, and just how many bags of charcoal and BGE's does that car translate into? Whooooooeeee. .I been kinda leanin towards a Honda 70 mpg hybrid.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Good news on the leftovers! I think you are right about more/better flavor the 2nd day. What kind of car? I read the whole post and no mention of the car except the payments and insurrance.[p]Smokey

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Congrats on the new vehicle purchase. It is kind of scary having new, significantly larger payments, but all part of why we work! You'll get enough raises over the next 5 years to more than pay for the car. Next thing you know, you'll be buying a house and making payments like you never thought you could.[p]I did want to comment on the smoke being more prevelant after cooling. I think RhumAndJerk had a great scientific explanation for it, but it definitely works. When I cook chili, I partially freeze a chuck roast, and then pour some heavy mesquite to it. Then I sear it like a steak (just sear, not cook). Stick it in the fridge, and a couple hours later I cut it up into cubes as a base for the chili. The smoke flavor seems to double...a huge help for achieving smoky chili.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Smokey,[p]It's a dark atlantic blue Ford Mustang GT Coupe. I'll post a picture or two soon.[p]Cornfed