Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork and King Hawaiian (Style) Rolls

Options
Did two 6lb. butts on Sunday using the turbo method for the first time. I was pleased with the results and will probably do it that way again next time. I used a Carolina style rub that I'd picked up this summer when I was in the States.

Having read so many good things about the King Hawaiian rolls I decided that that's what I wanted to serve the pork on. Naturally, I could not find those rolls locally so I made some myself using this recipe. Having never eaten an actual King Hawaiian roll I can't say how true these were to the actual rolls but they were delicious and a big hit! Served the pulled pork sandwiches with some cole slaw and homemade sweet potato chips.

Carolina style pork rub

Butts on the egg for the first part of the turbo cook

Butts with IT at 160* and ready to be foiled

Pulled and ready to eat

Ingredients for the Hawaiian rolls

I made two different sized rolls. Here they are, ready for the oven

All done

Ready to eat!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• GaryLange
    Options
    Had Pulled Pork Sandwiches tonight for dinner!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Goodness! I love pulled pork with King's Hawaiian rolls, but I would much rather have the ones you made. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I have to try making these.  We love pork sliders with King's Hawaiian rolls but just always buy them. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Awesome! I always use King's Hawaiian rolls for pulled pork! I'll have to give this a shot.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Everything looks great! We had pulled pork from the freezer for lunch yesterday, didn't want to buy whole bag of 36 ciabata buns from Costco, so we make a small batch of buns using dough recipe that came with the breadmaker .. nowhere near the calibre of your King Hawaiian.  I tried turbo butt twice, one with foiling at 165 and one with no foil for drier bark, both were good. How did you do the potato chips?
    canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Everything looks great! We had pulled pork from the freezer for lunch yesterday, didn't want to buy whole bag of 36 ciabata buns from Costco, so we make a small batch of buns using dough recipe that came with the breadmaker .. nowhere near the calibre of your King Hawaiian.  I tried turbo butt twice, one with foiling at 165 and one with no foil for drier bark, both were good. How did you do the potato chips?
    Gary,

The chips were done by slicing the sweet potatoes, as thin as I could slice them, by hand with my crinkle cutter; then deep fried at about 350* for about 15 minutes. I hit them with a dash of pineapple head as soon as I took them out of the fryer. We don't do them this way very often but they're very tasty.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Looks really good, TOTN.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Texas was very well represented in the far North my friend. Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow!! Home made Hawaiian rolls and sweet potato chips? Outstanding!! =D> Had to print out that recipe for myself. Thanks for sharing it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Texas was very well represented in the far North my friend. Wow
    @Mickey, I am ever mindful that Texas and Texans are God's gift to the world; and try to conduct myself accordingly!
    Griffin said:
    Wow!! Home made Hawaiian rolls and sweet potato chips? Outstanding!! =D> Had to print out that recipe for myself. Thanks for sharing it.
    @Griffin, if you end up making them I'd be curious to know how they compare to the real thing.
    Over the top!! Outstanding work!
    Flint, Michigan
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I think you did right by making the rolls yourself.  However, if you don't have time Loblaws has a President's Choice Hawaiian roll - but maybe only sold during BBQ season up here.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2013
    Options
    BigWader said:

I think you did right by making the rolls yourself.  However, if you don't have time Loblaws has a President's Choice Hawaiian roll - but maybe only sold during BBQ season up here.

Thanks @BigWader, I think the closest Loblaws is in Thornhill but we do have a Super Store here in Aurora.

The rolls are really easy to make and the house smells fantastic for hours!

Options
    Nice job and thanks for the roll recipe! Interesting that you posted this in the Lamb forum. :-/ :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Nice job and thanks for the roll recipe! Interesting that you posted this in the Lamb forum. :-/ :)
    Grew up with horses and cattle. Knowing the difference between a pig and a lamb is something I'm working on.  :D