Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - Inject or Not?

I have always followed the Chris Lilly method of doing pork butts which calls for injecting with apple juice and a few spices.  However, I'm wondering if it is really necessary.  Does an injection really add to the flavor or not?  Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    I have tried both methods and I haven't noticed a difference between the two. It's just personal preference.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I don't inject so can't say for sure. I follow the KISS method: no inject, no foil, & turbo.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Mickey said:

I don't inject so can't say for sure. I follow the KISS method: no inject, no foil, & turbo.

+1 and haven't ever had any complaints
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Mickey said:
    +1 also

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

500 Posts: 3,177
    What about a (hot) beef injection?  (No, not that kind).  I'm considering getting an injector for Roast Beast, and following Meathead's reverse sear method and using my slicer for Beef On Weck sandwiches.  Thoughts on injection for beef?
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/baltimore_pit_beef.html
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I wouldn't waste time injecting a pork butt.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    sometimes i inject a vinegar sauce towards the end of the cook, after the plateau just to mix it up. have done the same making pulled bbq turkey. if you do it too soon you lose alot of flavors from the injection, same with the rub, ill add more rub at that time to pick up what was lost in flavor from the long cook, spices seem to lose flavor the longer they are cooked
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I finally got through the BBQ Pitmasters finale last night, whee they did whole hog.  They did lots and lots of injection there.  Seems like on the BBQ contest circuit, injecting happens all the time, so why not?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    500 said:
    I finally got through the BBQ Pitmasters finale last night, whee they did whole hog.  They did lots and lots of injection there.  Seems like on the BBQ contest circuit, injecting happens all the time, so why not?
    when you inject elder wards vinegar sauce during the cook into a butt or shoulder, it adds that whole hog flavor to it, different than tradition pull but good still the same
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I inject on the grill. Just apple juice. My last two butts have been wring-it-out juicy. I run it to 165 then foil. Been incredible each time.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm lazy so I don't inject or foil. It works out well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My feedback from "customers" is that they prefer the injected pork. Wicker's marinade. So, I do it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I inject with apple juice and my rub 12 hours before the cook. This has done very well with the judges.
  • I inject with a concoction of hot sauce, salt, apple juice, pineapple juice, and brown sugar. Everybody seems to love it.
    Mark Annville, PA