Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt - Inject or Not?

I have always followed the Chris Lilly method of doing pork butts which calls for injecting with apple juice and a few spices.  However, I'm wondering if it is really necessary.  Does an injection really add to the flavor or not?  Thanks for your thoughts on this.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·

Comments

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    I have tried both methods and I haven't noticed a difference between the two. It's just personal preference.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,797
    I don't inject so can't say for sure. I follow the KISS method: no inject, no foil, & turbo.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,496
    Mickey said:

I don't inject so can't say for sure. I follow the KISS method: no inject, no foil, & turbo.

+1 and haven't ever had any complaints
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 599
    Mickey said:
    +1 also

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,449
    What about a (hot) beef injection?  (No, not that kind).  I'm considering getting an injector for Roast Beast, and following Meathead's reverse sear method and using my slicer for Beef On Weck sandwiches.  Thoughts on injection for beef?
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/baltimore_pit_beef.html
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • I wouldn't waste time injecting a pork butt.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." 
    -Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,492
    sometimes i inject a vinegar sauce towards the end of the cook, after the plateau just to mix it up. have done the same making pulled bbq turkey. if you do it too soon you lose alot of flavors from the injection, same with the rub, ill add more rub at that time to pick up what was lost in flavor from the long cook, spices seem to lose flavor the longer they are cooked
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,449
    I finally got through the BBQ Pitmasters finale last night, whee they did whole hog.  They did lots and lots of injection there.  Seems like on the BBQ contest circuit, injecting happens all the time, so why not?
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,492
    500 said:
    I finally got through the BBQ Pitmasters finale last night, whee they did whole hog.  They did lots and lots of injection there.  Seems like on the BBQ contest circuit, injecting happens all the time, so why not?
    when you inject elder wards vinegar sauce during the cook into a butt or shoulder, it adds that whole hog flavor to it, different than tradition pull but good still the same
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    I inject on the grill. Just apple juice. My last two butts have been wring-it-out juicy. I run it to 165 then foil. Been incredible each time.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,416
    I'm lazy so I don't inject or foil. It works out well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,205
    My feedback from "customers" is that they prefer the injected pork. Wicker's marinade. So, I do it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • I inject with apple juice and my rub 12 hours before the cook. This has done very well with the judges.
    ·
  • I inject with a concoction of hot sauce, salt, apple juice, pineapple juice, and brown sugar. Everybody seems to love it.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·