Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beets n Sweets

Options
Cooking up some beets and sweet potatoes along with jerk marinated pork chops.

Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    cortguitarman what is your recipe for the Jerk marinade ?
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • cortguitarman
    Options

cortguitarman what is your recipe for the Jerk marinade ?

I got the recipe from the dizzy pig web site. It obviously uses Jamaican Firewalk, which I have, but I substituted a jerk seasoning that my wife and I bought while we were in Jamaica

Ingredients
    ¾ cup white vinegar
    ½ cup orange juice
    Juice of 1 lime
    3 tbsp Dizzy Pig® Jamaican Firewalk rub
    ¼ cup olive oil
    3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1″ cubes
    6 jalapenos (optional but you want them. No, you really do)
    Instructions
    Mix the first four ingredients. Then slowly pour the oil into the mixture, whisking briskly. Marinate the chicken in this mixture for 3-4 hours. Note: When I’m normally using whole bone in thighs, I marinate them longer.
    Cut the jalapenos in half, remove the seeds with a spoon, and then cut the halves in half. That would be quartered, in case you are bad at math like me. Basically you want 1″ cube pieces. If you are totally afraid of heat, you can use bell peppers instead. If you are a chili head, use habaneros instead.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    This is a trial run. I'll report back with the results.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    cortguitarman I have spent a lot  of time in Jamaica and since then I use Scotch Bonnet peppers or as the Jamaicans say country pepper I think that it is actually a Habanero pepper all I know for sure is it is VERY HOT !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like a good meal is  shaping up :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    It was a good one, @caliking. My chops only marinated for about 45 minutes but still a good one.

Mark Annville, PA
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    nice, both veggies that I love!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @ringkingpin I always hated beets as a kid and I'm still hesitant about them, but this is a dish that I discovered last year and it has changed my opinion of beets. I love them prepared this way. My twin 3 year old asked for more! The recipe came from allrecipes.com
    Mark Annville, PA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    @henapple loves my beets.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I do... Washing them down with a Shiner
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Pork chops? Yay! Beets: Nay! Man, no how hard I try to like beets, I just can't. I can't even look at something that bleeds on my plate. There are only a few things on this planet I won't eat: Liver and beets are in the top 5.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • henapple
    Options
    I hate them also... But you need to try them "Travis Style".
  • henapple
    Options
    Oh, you'd love @nolaegghead beet sausage... Vampire sausage.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @Cymbaline65 I hate them all other ways too. I promise you'd like them this way.
    ngredients

6 medium beets, peeled and cut into chunks
    2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon sugar
    3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
    1 large sweet onion, chopped
    Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    In a bowl, toss the beets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
    Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large resealable plastic bag. Place the sweet potatoes and onion in the bag. Seal bag, and shake to coat vegetables with the oil mixture.
    Bake beets 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Mix sweet potato mixture with the beets on the baking sheet. Continue baking 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @henapple loves my beets.

No way this tread was going to happen w/o you and @henapple in it over beets. After several Shiners henapple got to eating Short Travis's baby food. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos_zps32285da9.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    That look was when he pimp slapped me for eating his beets.