Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to cook my first brisket this weekend . I am intimidated and scared

So many questions !!
I am thinking that I will follow the directions on Amazing Ribs  and I think that I will crutch it to save some time .
but how much time do you think I will need for a 10 pounder ?
Also is it a horrible Idea to cook it a day before ? ? (i am imagining that it is )

I am thinking that I would want to eat it around 6  on Sunday . When would you guys recommend that i get it started .
Toronto

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    IME I have smoked a 15lb full packer at 250 and it took ~15 hours.  I then FTC'd for 4 hours and it was awesome 3 times so far.

Garnerville, NY
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    hmm why at 250 ? did you crutch it ?  or just let it go
    Toronto
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

FIRST OFF: I HAVE NEVER COOKED A BRISKET ( and I live in the friggin middle of Texas).

I am passing this to you as it is the way I will do it when and if I ever do a brisket. Got this from our Travis (one of a short list of brisket kings on the forum).

Turbo Brisket (Travis)

350 until 195, need pan with beer. 
    10 lb app 6/7 hr
    then in a cooler wrapped in towels for a hour or so. 
    When you unwrap, foil is full of juice!!
     put a lot of wood chips and chunks to get as much smoke in before the meat hits 140, good smoke ring most of the time.
    Cut against the grain. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pantsypants
    hmm , thanks .
    I am thinking that i want to cook it lower at around 225 and then wrap it in foil when it hits 150

Toronto
  • robnybbq
    250 and let it go - no crutch.  ~250 is the lowest I can get my Egg to stablized at.  Any lower and the fire dies. 

My next one will be at 275 and see where that goes.

I also want to try just a flat like Mickey described.

Garnerville, NY
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited November 2013
    Hey @Panstypants - No need to cook a day ahead, you'll be fine.  You can go travis method, or go 'traditional'.  I've not used the crutch, but that's just me.  Get that fat bastard nice and tender and you'll have happy people.  I do them like @robnybbq with only a S&P rub. 

Edit: I propose we call the 'traditional' method for brisket "missionary". I cook my brisket missionary style, and I like it a lot.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Here's a recent thread about the way Cen-Tex does brisket. He makes a damn fine one.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    I did my first and only brisket cook so far, at 250 to 195 IT (8.5 pound full packer).  I used a mavrick ET-732 dual probe and monitored grate temp of 250 and took the IT to 190 before I ever checked it.  I used the amazing ribs brisket rub recipe for it.  And I used mesquite chunks mixed with the lump when loading the egg.  It had a good smoke ring and an awesome bark.  It cooked for 11 hours and 15 minutes to reach an IT of 195.  I then foiled/toweled/coolered for about 3 hours.  The brisket came out of the foil moist and still hot!  The key I have since discovered is to stop the temp climb on the way up, rather than having to lower it.  I did this on the brisket cook and thought it was very easy.  Following cooks have been hardert to control because I let the temp rise too much before dampering down.  I held 225-250 by closing the bottom damper to about 1/4" and the daisy cover completely closed and the eyes open only 1/4-12", after about an hour into the cook, it was only open about 1/4" and remained that way until finished.  Maintaining a low temp for hours seems easier than regulating temp at even 100 degrees hotter.  So I don't know if guys end up watching a turbo cook more closely, or if they are using a digiQ or some fan driven temp manager.  I only have one "low and slow" under my belt and about 9 other cooks of experience so far, so I am still learning to predict the temp climbs and drops and how to regulate them.  Patience and anticipation is key.  Post pics of the completed cook! 
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2013
    Intimidated and scared are not words that should be associated with egging so, relax, and enjoy the experience for what it's worth.

I can guarantee you that everyone on this site, that has cooked more than a few briskets, has probably screwed up at least one. And, even that one was probably still good enough to eat!

You're going to get more contradictory (albeit well-meaning and sound) advice on how to proceed so, just go with what makes sense to you and enjoy!

Oh, and don't forget to post pics!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Awesome advice !! thanks
    and yes pics for sure
    Toronto
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yep. Just get up and do it. Ya live ya learn :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I was you at one time (worried)!!  Now brisket is about my favorite.

Honest advice.

DO NOT cook to anyone's time recommendation.  Cook to 195 internal (thickest part) and then start twisting a fork checking,(every 30 minutes) until it twists with meat falling apart.   It will be ready WHEN it wants to be ready. Wait it out....be patient.  It will tell you when it is done.   Start early and don't be afraid to FTC for 5hrs.

Unless you have no choice, do not do it a day before and put in fridge....much better when out of the FTC for 1-5 hrs. (first meal).

Don't go below 250...like stated, too easy for fire to die out.  I foil mine mine at >160 degrees.  I like pecan wood.

Good luck.  There is plenty of experience on the forum to do a good brisket first time and thereafter. 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited November 2013
    Pick your cooking temp, and if you get nervous that you will not finish in time, turn up the heat or foil it.  As you have probably seen, they are cooked here every way from low and very slow to turbo.  Both work as does everything in between.  Definitely leave time for FTC.  It will be hot when you are ready to serve, and your sides can be timed perfectly.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I'm sure you'll do fine. No matter what it'll be good enough to eat. I once seen a guy cook a brisket in a aluminum pan full of Italian dressing and people thought it was good. Me Not so much. Yours will be better than that.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • pantsypants
    haha awesome !! i am no longer scared .
    I will post pics .
    looking forward to it .

thanks guys !
    Toronto
  • texaswig said:
    I'm sure you'll do fine. No matter what it'll be good enough to eat. I once seen a guy cook a brisket in a aluminum pan full of Italian dressing and people thought it was good. Me Not so much. Yours will be better than that.
    Isn't that how Travis used to do it before he started using Fresca?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Don't be scared you just got to do it! I'm sure I will be awesome. Kind I like the trout I smoked and the advice you gave me!
    NW IOWA
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Just go for it. for more detailed info, go to http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php 
    Best of luck
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • pantsypants
    so much great advice .
    So many options . I really appreciate this forum .
    thanks
    Toronto

• texaswig said:

Isn't that how Travis used to do it before he started using Fresca?

I use diet TAB now.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I did my first last weekend...13.5lbs b4 trimming...I followed amazingribs method, 225 with the cruch at 150...took about 8 hours to get to 203...ftc for about 4hrs...til the temp fell to 150...then moved to an oven....

Final product was crazy moist. Burnt ends were the best I ever had.

Only prob was that it was so moist it fell apart as I tried to slice it...A+ for taste...c- for presentation.
    I think it was done too early...next time I will skip the cruch and/ or plan less time.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • pantsypants
    i am having a pretty difficult time finding Oak as I was hoping to use Oak and Cherry mix.
    What wood would be your next up ? I am thinking an Apple Pecan mix ? ?

thoughts ?
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Hey Mike why did you move it to the oven ? ?
    Toronto
  • robnybbq
    I have used Hickory with great results.

Garnerville, NY
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Next for me would be hickory or pecan (without apple).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Pecan.
    Pecan it is !!
    Toronto
  • Pecan it is !!
    Just to clarify it's pimage-kän, not (, -kimagenimage, pimageimagekimagen)
    I go by Aaaron Frankilin's method. 50/50 salt and pepper for rub, 250 with oak wood for smoke. when it gets to 190-195, check to see how tender iit is. sometimes a brisket is ready at 190, sometimes at 205. it's done when it's done as they say.