Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOKE flow...

bought a large egg a few weeks ago. i have cooked on it multiple times now, and when smoking, i notice that an hour or two in i feel like it is no longer smoking. i have heard people said there's a difference between "good" and "bad" smoke. that you want your smoke to be thinner and clearer more than that thick white smoke you get as soon as you put your wood in. if i open the egg to mop or for whatever reason, i see no smoke. and it is as if its just baking without smoke? but once its get more oxygen (from opening the dome) the smoke will pick back up. is this normal, has anyone experienced this? or is this supposed to happen?

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    i had the same problem when I started egging about a year ago. I think I just was not using enough wood chunks.  now I mix them through out the lump and throw a big piece on right before I put my place setter on.  much better, but I am still mastering how to make it smoke for 12+ hours.
  • simonsays I also have LBGE and that also happens what I do when I see no more smoke is I take my ash tool and reach down into the fire pit and stir up the fire and that does the trick I guess it moves the chunks of smoking wood to a hot spot and it starts smoking again thats one salution the other is when you build you fire put a layer of lump a layer of wood chunks a layer of lump all the way till the pit is full and then you should have smoke the entire burn  
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • You are still getting smoke, but the airflow is so miniscule on low and slows you can barely see the smoke coming out, especially after all the VOC's burn off.  In my experience though, the meat is still getting flavored by the smoke.
    Pentwater, MI
  • If you wave your hand over the top vent towards your face you will get the "flavor" of the smoke.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I was going to post a discussion on this until I got on and seen someone already did. Poultry, I have no problem on picking up smoke. I've done brisket, ribs, fish, and I just can't seem to get it smoky. I load up on the wood too. I layer it, chunks and chips and I just can't seem to get the smoke profile I want. Especially on ribs. It is impossible to over smoke them. Should I soak the chips? Put them in foil? I'm thinking I need more space between the plate setter and the grid. I think the smoke rolls around the plate setter and right out the dome without really hitting the meat, especially from under the meat to the plate setter. Any comments on what to do will be much appreciated.
    NW IOWA
  • Smoke and flavour will not continue to build just because there s visible smoke. Once the meat temp is north of 140º the effect for ring and flavour pretty much is toast. What LS says, smell the top vent, if it smells like smoke it is still doing its thing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @Philly35 - I don't think soaking or foiling will make a difference. What kind of wood are you using for smoke? Do you pull the membrane off of your ribs? Some people think that the membrane blocks the smoke absorption.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Hickory chunks and chips. Yes I pull the membrane.
    NW IOWA