Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfests in the northeast? Is anybody out there?

Options
I live near Rochester, NY, it does not look like any fests come near this part of the country.  Am I missing one?  
Is anyone else out there in upstate NY/New England?  
Who organizes the Eggfests?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    If you find one let me know
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited November 2013
    Options

There is a New England Fest. http://www.newegglandfest.com/ In New Hampshire I believe. It's on my Eggfest bucket list.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Options
    There is one in Toronto and one in Niagara both fairly close to you but they are both one day things

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I am in NY just north of the city - I have been looking for one myself.  One of the dealers locally said they were going to have one but it never happened.

There were some other BBQ competitions in CT that they stopped a few years back as well.  I guess NY is not know for BBQ.......

Garnerville, NY
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I live on Long Island and would love to find one in the metro N.Y. area if anybody knows of one or hears of one PLEASE make it known 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Guys just move to TX or FL as we have them all over the place. No taxes!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Crappy weather, though. No snow.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    How can Toronto have Fests and not NY. Maybe you guys should start one!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I wish I knew how to get one started with the Mothership backing it something like Eggtoberfest that would be great 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America including Mexico City. Bigger than Chicago.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America including Mexico City. Bigger than Chicago.
    Easy Little Steven, I was not throwing off on Toronto, merely stating that New York should step up!
    Love my Canuckistan brothers and sisters!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just stating a little known fact. No offense intended. We surpassed Chicago last year. I think the free crack from city hall accounts for some of that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    Options

Mickey said:

Heh I'll take no snow and no more cold in a heartbeat. My job is here so we are not moving anytime soon. Moving down south is on the list though.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    robnybbq said:

Mickey said:

Heh I'll take no snow and no more cold in a heartbeat. My job is here so we are not moving anytime soon. Moving down south is on the list though.

I wish I could convince SWMBO to move up north. She thinks that if I was on my own, I'd move up to Vermont with a golden retriever and chop wood in flannel shirts and bean boots. I'm halfway there.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Back to an Eggfest and location.  Who organizes these and where do we start?  I suggest the Poconos as a location.  It is within 200 miles of 60 million people (that's more than Texas!), has lots of hotels, camping, good interstate access - I think it would be ideal.

How many reading this thread would make an effort to attend an Eggfest in the Poconos?

Who do we ping at the mother ship?
    Rochester, NY
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I would attend
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

Back to an Eggfest and location.  Who organizes these and where do we start?  I suggest the Poconos as a location.  It is within 200 miles of 60 million people (that's more than Texas!), has lots of hotels, camping, good interstate access - I think it would be ideal.

How many reading this thread would make an effort to attend an Eggfest in the Poconos?

It's not really a mothership thing. You have to have a local dealer to sponsor it and a distributor to supply the necessary amount of eggs. I'd say do a Adirondack Fest in the fall. Some of the best foliage in the world would be an awesome backdrop and lots of campgrounds nearby make it a fun travel destination.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I would definitely be in for the Poconos.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

The Mothership has nothing to do with EggFests. I started with a distributor and then a dealer. I got a venue and all permits for adult beverage. 4 years ago and lots of help from those doing Fests plus untold hours by Egg friends gets a Fest off the ground. After 4 years we have the hang of it. All I can say is its a lot of work yourself and all the Egg friends you have. Plus a **** load of money by the way. Be glad to talk to you about it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    Options

Garnerville, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Thanks Rob.  I was not aware of this one.  Looks like it is run by a local dealer at his shop.  I signed up for his email list

For all who are following this, I had an informative conversation off-line with @Mickey, and learned what goes into organizing an Eggfest like the one in Salado.  It really has to be done with the support of a local dealer and the distributor.  For this reason, to organize one far away (like the Poconos or the Adirondacks are for me) would be almost impossible.  

I am going to have a conversation with the local dealer, will see where that goes.  If I do step up and try to organize one, it would have to be in my general area - Rochester NY.  I would sure test the waters here on the forum to determine how many might attend.  Not sure if it would happen in 2014 though.

Beyond that, I will try to attend one of the other big ones next year (Salado?) to meet some of you all, and see how it runs
    Rochester, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I would like to attend one one of these day if there was one close by or see if the wife will let me go to TX for one.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Rochester would be fun and still allow me to get my Finger Lakes fix. You can call in the "Lake Effect Eggfest". PRetty easy drive from where I am in Maryland.
  • Mickey
    Options

Rochester would be fun and still allow me to get my Finger Lakes fix. You can call in the "Lake Effect Eggfest". PRetty easy drive from where I am in Maryland.

So that's what is wrong about you!
    All in fun my friend.

• Cookinbob
    Options
    "Lake Effect Eggfest"  I like that!  and the finger lakes start 20 minutes from here.  For those who have never been, the lakes are as beautiful as anywhere in the world, and there are over 100 wineries, plus a distillery and several breweries.  Great place to visit, Eggfest or no!
    Rochester, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Maryland to Rochester is an easy ride?  Got to be 10+ hours.  Rochester is 5+ from me near NYC.

Garnerville, NY
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    When you start planning, keep in mind the annual Roc City Ribfest is held in late May?

Since BGE's are equipped with Tel-Tru dome therms, perhaps the BGE distributor can persuade the Rochester based renowned Tel Tru manufacturer to help sponsor the event?  
    canuckland
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @robnybbq, It's actually just a little over 6 hours from where I am in Maryland. Directly up Route 15/390. I've been watching Wegman's trucks go by for years before one actually opened near me. 
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Maryland to Rochester is an easy ride?  Got to be 10+ hours.  Rochester is 5+ from me near NYC.
    +1 with @eggcelsior.   6 hours from my house to the Baltimore inner harbor.  I have made the run many times.  Center city Philly in 5-1/2, Pittsburgh is 4-1/2, Cleveland is 4 hours, almost anywhere in NJ is under 5 hours, NYC is 5-1/2.    @canugghead, Toronto is 3-1/2 thanks to the border delays, but I guess you guys have your own eggfest!   
    Rochester, NY
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I've seen more than one eggfest get started like this.

Steve 

Caledon, ON