Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip with churro beans

I picked up a bulk package of choice tri-tip this past weekend.  Tonight I did one direct raised grid and served it with churro beans.

The rub was salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano and green chile powder.  First time using green chile powder, it has a nice earthy note to it (kind of like cumin but different flavor) and a mild heat.  I look forward to using it more.  (Griff - I didn't forget to send you some to try out.  I have been laid up due to hernia surgery and just going back to work tomorrow.  Sending it to you tomorrow.)

It's not green in color, more grey or off white with a green tint. 

In the rub....

I did it raised grid direct at 400f for just under 30 minutes.  I flipped it every 6 minutes until it registered 125-130f on my Thermapen. 

To slice tri-tip, I cut it in half first, right between where the grain of the meat goes from one angle/direction to another (arrows show the grain direction).  Then I turn each half and slice against the grain. 

The tri-tip was tender and flavorful.  I prefer reverse seared tri-tip but this version was still great and took less than half the time of reverse sear.  The churro beans were from Raichlen's book BBQ USA - it was the 30 minute version, quick and easy.

I have 5 more tri-tips in the freezer.  I love this cut of beef! 
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments