Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

A-maze-N-Smoker Tutorial

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 11,425
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've had good luck with the AMS but have noticed lots of people saying it goes out or they have to season the pellets in the oven to keep it lit. So here is how it's worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you the same way.

Step 1) fill it up with pellets and light it on fire. I only had my weed burner handy (It was a bit of overkill). A propane/MAP torch is preferred.

Once it gets going, I let it burn for 5-10 minutes. It looks like this:

After about 5 minutes it looked like this:

I usually have to blow it out at this point but this one went out at 5 min 38 seconds. As long as it's 2-3" in and has a good bed of coals going, I'm good with that:

If I have lump in the box, i push it toward the edges to expose air holes for flow. Then I put my small cast iron grid in the bed so there is no chance of igniting the lump:

Once it's in, I add my AR and oval stone and I have never had one go out. It smokes for about 12 hours.

Hope this helps. I did it all on my iPhone so I'm sure a the photos will be sideways or upside down. Hope you get the drift anyhow.

Bacon for breakfast tomorrow :).

Comments