Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Request for all the Eggheads

Options
I will start by saying I have never done what I am going to request from you guys but I am going to do it this year for Thanksgiving. I heard a radio commercial today talking about "Helping others during the Holidays". For some reason this particular commercial got my attention and after discussing with my wife we decided that we are going to cook a couple extra turkeys and hams on Wed before Thanksgiving and take to our local abused women's shelter. The way I think about it is cooking is something that I enjoy and the extra that I cook might help someone have a Happy Thanksgiving I am not looking for adda boys but just trying to put the thought out there to all of you that I know enjoy cooking as much as I do and ask you to use your enjoyment (eggin) to help the less fortunate.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sorry about the run on paragraph, I did it on the iPad

analyze adapt overcome

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have wondered what the regulations were in regards to donating prepared food to shelters. I love cooking heaps of food, and would like to give back if possible. I will be checking with local shelters and food kitchens to see if they can accept prepared food.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Don't know about your area but my wife was on the board for an abused women shelter and she tells me that they will take what ever they can get.

analyze adapt overcome

• travisstrick
    Options
    Years ago I started serving and hosting the less fortunate at local homeless shelters. It has changed my life. In the strickland house, we don't do gifts on Xmas. We use the day as a time to give to others. Altruistic, maybe not but I enjoy it none the less.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a nice thought. I'll see if a shelter around us accepts cooked food items.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Rather than donate cooked food we clean out the pantry and donate the food to the food shelter. Usually amounts to several grocery sacks of food both canned and dried foods.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    After Katrina, I made gumbo and took it to a shelter at a church to distribute to the refugees.  I was able to dish out quite a bit before being run off.  The officials said I couldn't do that because the Health Dept. would consider that a violation because I was unlicensed, and also, they were afraid of the liability (in case my food made somebody sick).  Serving at a shelter (like Travis does) or donating to a food bank (like Austin Egghead does) is a better course of action IMHO.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JenGang
    Options
    When donating to a food bank, although they appreciate the food, it really is better to donate money.  Most food shelves have the opportunity to purchase food items at a discount and get more food than you could purchase for the same amount of money.  My work raises funds for Second Harvest Heartland every year and for them, $1=$9 of food.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• ChuckChampion
    Options
    I'm a young guy and although my wife volunteers her time and efforts into always helping people I feel like I haven't done my part.  This discussion has really inspired me, and I will def. look into cooking a few extra turkeys for a local shelter or home.  Thanks guys
  • Tailwind
    Options
    Great idea!  I am also going to look into that.  Sometimes I get wrapped up in my own little world and I don't take the time to do things for those less fortunate.  I'm really glad you started the thread

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• Mattman3969
    Options
    I spoke with the local shelter yesterday and come to find out they have 18 children and three adults in this facility. I wanted to check and make sure that prepared food was alright to bring after the suggestions of the people on the forum and come to find out that is exactly what these guys want for for the kiddos. We're going to do a turkey a ham and the fixens to go with it to take them so the kiddos can have a Happy Thanksgiving

analyze adapt overcome