Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver meals

Options
We have two friends facing cancer and surgery. Would like to foodsaver meals for the guys to heat up. Pulled pork... What else?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Soups of all sorts! BTW I do it all the time, freeze them and then thaw and leave in the FS bag and reheat in a pot of water on the stove. Quick, easy and good!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @RRP I saw on another thread you mentioned Foodsaver and soup. Do you freeze the soup first in a small container then pop it out into the bag to seal?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Stews could be made into complete meals. Also vac some bacon and other roasts (beef, pork), chicken. They'll need protein and calories for wound healing and  post-op recovery. Eggs are also pretty "complete", maybe those are easy enough for them to manage, along with the food you make for them.

You're a good friend. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    edited November 2013
    Options
    DMW said:
    @RRP I saw on another thread you mentioned Foodsaver and soup. Do you freeze the soup first in a small container then pop it out into the bag to seal?
    No - I use pre made pint size FS bags and then slip a plastic glass inside that has the bottom cut out. That allows me to pour the soup in keeping the walls clean. I then fold them over and clamp with a chip bag clip and freeze them. The next day I seal the bag with my FS. BTW I made a pot of chili yesterday and this morning I froze 4 pints of it for the future using this trick.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    Smoked some boneless chicken breast then dice them up and vacuum seal. They can be used on salads, nachos, tacos, the possibilities are endless. I like to make a simple chicken salad with it. Mix together diced chicken, crumbled up pecans, diced grapes, mayo, fresh cracked black pepper, and sea salt. If my son gets to the diced chicken breasts, he warms it up and eats by itself or on a sandwich.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Some of your egged bread and meatloaf. Mac and cheese is always a soother.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Anything you store in a plastic container in the fridge and re-heat, either in hot water or using the nuke, can be food-savered. Usually water bath heat food-savered food in the bag unless I pop the food out of the bag and then into a microwave safe dish. All the best to friends to your friends, sure your support will be much appreciated. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good tread man
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    RRP said:
    Soups of all sorts! BTW I do it all the time, freeze them and then thaw and leave in the FS bag and reheat in a pot of water on the stove. Quick, easy and good!
    ron, i hope you have a backup generator running directly to that thing, maybe even a backup backup generator
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    edited November 2013
    Options
    RRP i have two smaller units in my garage. I think it was @fishlessman a year or so ago gave me the trick of a frozen cup of water with a quarter on top. Came home Sunday to the quarter at the botton of both cups and soft meat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    simple portugese chourico and kale soup with white beans might be good, im thinking kale might be good for these things
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    edited November 2013
    Options
    RRP said:
    ron, i hope you have a backup generator running directly to that thing, maybe even a backup backup generator

LOL - actually the loss of all my soups would be minimal compared to the stash of dry aged beef in there at any given point! BTW I have a plastic glass freezing right now for your trick. Actually barely a day goes by that we aren't getting in that freezer so we keep a good eye on it.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just trying to help out. Maybe dome roast beef and veggies. I'm sure Sher-bear will do some casseroles. Would ribs do ok?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

LOL - actually the loss of all my soups would be minimal compared to the stash of dry aged beef in there at any given point! BTW I have a plastic glass freezing right now for your trick. Actually barely a day goes by that we aren't getting in that freezer so we keep a good eye on it.
    Darn it Ron, your freezer looks just like mine, well except for the organization, lack of spilled stuff and labels on what's in there so you don't have to guess.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    Mickey said:
    RRP i have two smaller units in my garage. I think it was @fishlessman a year or so ago gave me the trick of a frozen cup of water with a quarter on top. Came home Sunday to the quarter at the botton of both cups and soft meat.
    Are your garage freezers on GFCI outlets? Someone told me that freezers in the garage should not be on GFCI outlets, because they trip and then the freezer shuts off. Maybe an electrician egghead will chime in if its a good idea or not.

• caliking
    Options
    @RRP - I want to grow up and be like you. We sock away all kinds of stuff in our freezers, but I now see what I need to aim for!

When I was in college, my mom would cook and freeze a whole lot of food when she visited. Everything was in ziplocs and dated. Found a small bag of kofta curry in the freezer 3 years later. Nuked it and it ate with rice - it was still damn good!

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Freezers do not have to be on gfci per code.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• RRP
    Options
    caliking said:
    Mickey said:
    Are your garage freezers on GFCI outlets? Someone told me that freezers in the garage should not be on GFCI outlets, because they trip and then the freezer shuts off. Maybe an electrician egghead will chime in if its a good idea or not.

Interesting question! Mine is not even on a separate circuit and it has been that way for 33 years now and this is only our second freezer. I know "they" say you should invest in a special freezer if located in an unheated garage like ours, but I guess "they" never told that to this Sears freezer of ours! LOL
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Slices of any roasted meat work great in FS bags. Even med rare slices of beef rib roast or tenderloin. Reheat like sous vide and it's a treat!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey
    Options
    caliking said:
    @RRP - I want to grow up and be like you. We sock away all kinds of stuff in our freezers, but I now see what I need to aim for!

When I was in college, my mom would cook and freeze a whole lot of food when she visited. Everything was in ziplocs and dated. Found a small bag of kofta curry in the freezer 3 years later. Nuked it and it ate with rice - it was still damn good!

Yes mine is on those damn outlets. But aren't all outlets in a garage GFCI? And yes that has been my problem before.

• caliking
    Options
    @Mickey - if you have the freezer's outlet rewired to make it a regular outlet, that might take care of your problem. I think you just have to change that outlet not the whole circuit.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    caliking said:

@Mickey - if you have the freezer's outlet rewired to make it a regular outlet, that might take care of your problem. I think you just have to change that outlet not the whole circuit.

For about ten bucks and ten minutes you can change it out. Just make sure and cut the breaker off to that outlet!!

XLBGE 
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Can someone explain the cup of water with a quarter on top to me?
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Probably a stupid question but can you brown hamburger meat and freeze it without sauce to use in any kind of meal? I have a few five pound packages of hamburger in the freezer and a buddy of mine's wife just had a baby. If I could brown a bunch of hamburger in 1 pound packages that they could use for taco's, or tomato sauce and such that would be a great way to help them out.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    Options
    If you see the coin anywhere but the top of the glass,  it means at some point the ice thawed enough to let the coin sink i.e.  the freezer lost power for a while. 

• caliking
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Some of your egged bread and meatloaf. Mac and cheese is always a soother.
    +1. I freeze mac n cheese  for my nephew all the time.  He can eat his body weight in mac.  

(trying to veer back on track). 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Probably a stupid question but can you brown hamburger meat and freeze it without sauce to use in any kind of meal? I have a few five pound packages of hamburger in the freezer and a buddy of mine's wife just had a baby. If I could brown a bunch of hamburger in 1 pound packages that they could use for taco's, or tomato sauce and such that would be a great way to help them out.

Yes...
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    After a lot of procrastination I went ahead and bought a Frigidaire 20.6 CuFt upright a couple of months ago. Best thing I ever did. Have been slowly filling it up. I thing I needz a FS.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• wmtillman
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friends.  What about beef jerky?  Made it for my mother (several times at her request) when she was recovering from cancer.  Not a "meal" but it is a quick snack with lots of protein and all she had to do was open it.  That was a great help to her at that point. Sealed in FS bags and stored properly would last a couple of months +
    Michael ~ XL ~ Winston Salem, NC