Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Did You Spend Veteran's Day?

I spent my Veteran's Day cooking lunch at @Owossoegger 's place.  He's my dealer and decided to cook for his employees and I thought it would be fun.  It's been a while since I've seen him.  I only have two pix because I forgot the memory card in the camera and the static memory could only fit two.  The first is Kevin cooking some chicken.  The second photo is the Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wings (AKA Sriracha & Honey Chicken Wings) I cooked on my small.  It was all great.  Thanks Kevin!  I had a great time! 

How did you spend Veteran's Day?

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I worked my last Veteran's Day. Will retire before the next one.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Working. Talking about bloody diarrhea. Sent 2 patients to the ER.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Me and nine of my CPO buddies hit up Fogo de Chao's in Balitimore for a red meat feast for lunch. I'm currently in the midst of a food coma. Oh yeah, there's a pot of Spicy Calabrese-Style Pork Ragù simmering on the stove waiting a pound of rigatoni.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    A very quiet day at work.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Driving...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I worked like I do every year.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Went to the cemetery & saw my Dad & Grandpa.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• My town placed banners up on "Front Street" last Veterans Day of local residents serving, and our eldest son was one of the first banners placed for this program.  

He is an MP in the US Army, presently stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.

Today, we are to receive his banner at a ceremony beginning at sundown, and unfortunately he can't be there to join us, but he will be in spirit. 

It will be rolled-up, and saved for him to have when he has a family of his own.

When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • We went to the mall this afternoon and Elaine visited with Santa.  No lines or waiting.  I loved it!

Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    henapple said:
    Driving...

+1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Had to work, but made damn sure to call and thank Lt. Col Robert G Spaight who flew 52 missions from Watton, England over Europe , mainly in a B-17 called Flak Dodger but also in an RAF De Havilland Mosquito. Thanks Dad and everyone else who put it all on the line,
  • @fred19flintstone, it was fun today. Thanks for coming up. The guys loved your wings. And that Santa clause you saw that's the one I was talking about. He's the real deal for sure. Oh and your part came in about the time you got home!
  • I was driving home from Surprise, AZ. and stayed overnight in Amarillo, TX. So I spent the day in the drivers seat of my Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab with my lovely bride of 44 years as of Nov. 8th. Was a great ride.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Today was my first VD as an actual veteran (12 years active duty, 14 years Reserves, retired last year).  
    Intended to go to Einstein's for a free bagel this morning, but still had some green chile in the pot so I made huevos rancheros instead, yum!  Had a free lunch at Olive Garden; my waiter mentioned he was one of the only two vets at that particular restaurant and he had to work, when he brought me my check he was smiling, they gave him the rest of the day off; I paid $1.75 for the iced tea and left him a $5 tip.  
    Every six months I "swap" my two vehicles, drive the pickup in the winter and the convertible in the summer; took both to the car wash and got a few bucks off the first vehicle too for VD!  Thoroughly cleaned/swept the carport before reparking everything (guaranteeing a strong windstorm tonight).  Washed both bikes, winterized the sport bike.  Forgot to get my free haircut (and I need one right now).  Picked some more apples (bumper crop this year) and am now vegging.
    Good day!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited November 2013
    During the morning helped serve nearly 400 veterans and currently enlisted men and women breakfast (no egging just regular flattop grill at work). This veterans day also fell on my father-in-laws birthday who has been gone for 17 years. (I never had the privilege of meeting him as I met my wife 15 years ago) He served in Vietnam.  Unfortunately visiting his grave was not an option today so had my eight year old write him a birthday card and attached it to some balloons and released them to get the card to "heaven" before making dinner. 

God bless the service men and women and their families who sacrifice so much to protect what so many take for granted.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • @fred19flintstone, it was fun today. Thanks for coming up. The guys loved your wings. And that Santa clause you saw that's the one I was talking about. He's the real deal for sure. Oh and your part came in about the time you got home!
    He is the real deal!  If you have a job out this way, that would be great to arrange a meet with your guys someplace.  If not, I'll figure a way to pick up the firebox in a week or so.  I can see that warehouse space is at a premium for you!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Among other things, shared a pic of the Old Man on a few sites.  82nd Airborne.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch said:
    Today was my first VD as an actual veteran 

Ha, you were a veteran the first time around after you enlisted.  Thanks for your service.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Thank you to all who served.  Thinking today of my father, Lewis McClain who was in the Army at Ft Carson in Colorado Springs back in the mid 1950's.  He passed away 20 years ago in August.  Thank you for making me into the man that I am today. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Flying back from NOLA (to Dallas) after spending Sunday night watching the Saints destroy the Cowgirls. Good times. image
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Worked. Which is good. Occupies the mind.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148

Watched two of the worst teams in the NFL duke it out for the battle of FL.  My bucs won, likely their only win of the year.  Best part of the day was the pre game tailgait.  Brought my small BGE and cooked up some sausage and peppers and soy/ginger snook filets. 

Lots of patriotic tributes at the game....  Great job on that Bucs.  Now if you can get a decent coach and team on the field we will be ok.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Big Ragu said:

Watched two of the worst teams in the NFL duke it out for the battle of FL.  My bucs won, likely their only win of the year.  Best part of the day was the pre game tailgait.  Brought my small BGE and cooked up some sausage and peppers and soy/ginger snook filets. 

Lots of patriotic tributes at the game....  Great job on that Bucs.  Now if you can get a decent coach and team on the field we will be ok.

This is appropriate:

• Played battlefield 4 with some of my OIF buddies scattered across the country while a chuck roast and butt were cooking on the egg.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Like a good Canadian boy I shuffled Gabriella off to Buffalo for a whirlwind shopping trip.  Sales girl was confused when I wouldn't speak at 11:00.  Rest of the mall kept shopping.  Years ago in northern Quebec, the entire mall stopped at 11, even the damn muzak.  The way it should be.
    Here's a video I shot for the 14th Canadian Field Regiment, 3rd Divison, 9th Brigade who landed on Juno Beach, D- Day.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVWhMRxMD9c

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini