Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg rotisserie kit called Kamado Mate has anyone heard of it?

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You started a thread about this yesterday, too.

Something fishy afoot? Are you looking to sell these?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • miniegghead
    Options
    No, but I would like any information about this product so I could sell them in my store. Get my hands on some without paying full retail for them. 
    caliking said:
    You started a thread about this yesterday, too.

Something fishy afoot? Are you looking to sell these?

• eggtopia
    Options
    Would buy one in an instant if it works.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    For $350... I'd wait on a good used small or mini.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Completely not necessary if one knows how to use the egg. The ceramics radiate the heat unlike cooking on a metal grill. Depending on setup the heat radiating off of the dome can be higher then the heat coming off of the actual charcoal.  Just my 2 cents and you all know what that's worth.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    A roasting rack cost $15, same results much less money, and no moving parts that break.
    XL BGE
  • caliking
    Options
    Not to mention having to store the contraption when it's not being used.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Pre-Egg days I had a rotisserie for my old gasser. Thought it would be great and I would use it all the time. After less then a month, it got lost in the shed somewhere. Never used it very much.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ringkingpin
    Options
    I'm suprised that nobody has brought up the benefit of self basting on a rotisserie.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What about self basting on a 12 pack of PBR?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    haha well there is that too!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    did that several years ago on my medium..  Spinning a bird is fun but you still need a way to have a cold and hot side with the fire.  spatching the bird is much easier with better results.  t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    To me it seems like the metal fits in there pretty tight. Wouldn't expanding and cracking be a problem? I can't see the warranty covering that, IMO.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• caliking
    Options
    How come when I google Kamado Mates this thread is the only page where they are called that?

• Tailwind
    Options
    Yeah just for me that seems to be more trouble than what it's worth.  But I have never heard of it and it looks pretty cool.  I might buy one if I had a ton of money!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Self basting is nice. I'd pick up one if I won the lottery. Or if they want to send me one to review...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    I use one in my Brinkmann dual zone with good results. This because I would use the Egg for other tasks and I can do 4 birds at once. Price seems a tad steep
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Seems to me the meat would be too close to the fire.  On my Weber, the rotisserie comes with an extension that raises it up about a foot.  With the Egg having a hinged dome, I don't see how you could do that and still close the dome.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JNJGoeders
    Options
    I have actually talked with the guy that makes the kamado mate...he is basically a small business and has to fabricate these in batches...supposedly he has a design that works well for the BGE hinged dome.  I have an XL BGE, so for me to get one of these is $399 :(  I am still weighing the pros and cons, not sure if it is worth a whole paycheck...
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Would love one but for the price will just keep spinning on my kettle. Its my favorite way to cook whole chickens.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Several years ago, I designed a way to spin birds on my medium egg using the large 2" fire ring.  One thing you'll need is a plate under the bird to act as a partial indirect piece.  So, the bird goes from indirect to direct as it rotates.  The legs hang the lowest, affecting distances between the indirect piece and rotisserie.  Also, need to find a way to cook other things as the bird spins.  It's a nice change of pace for grilling a bird, but in the end, I found the spatchcock method easier with similar results. 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • miniegghead
    Options
    JNJGoeders said: I have actually talked with the guy that makes the kamado mate...he is basically a small business and has to fabricate these in batches...supposedly he has a design that works well for the BGE hinged dome.  I have an XL BGE, so for me to get one of these is $399 :(  I am still weighing the pros and cons, not sure if it is worth a whole paycheck... Check out the Kamado Mate Face Book page and also check out Andy Scalzo.