Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My new 'nest'

The growing family (now at 7) was quickly outgrowing our large egg. 3 years ago when I bought it, I almost went back and got the XL but had sticker shock and stuck with the XL, and for just our family it was fine, but any time we had company I was doing multiple rounds on the grill. I have finally accepted that we need the bigger egg, and the wife is convinced the cost is worth it after eating on the egg for 3 years. A buddy from work bought my large and the basic table I made for it. The wife also wanted a 'built in' look, she was tired of looking at all my grilling accessories on the deck in tupperware containers.

Old Nest:

New Nest:

I used a local granite guy who had some remnants that fit the bill to keep costs down. I thought about poured concrete, granite tile, but in the end I barely had the time to build this, much less the tops. I have since put the egg on a table nest as well. First 5 hour rib smoke and I cracked the granite. It closed up when the egg cooled off, it's sealed with epoxy now. Lesson learned the hard way :(

I used AirStone from Lowes, glued to hardiboard over a pressure treated 2x4 frame wrapped in roofing felt.

Questions/comments welcome.

·

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 6,591
    Wow, that looks really nice. I like the platesetter area, nice touch.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,298
    Very nice.  Beautiful!
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Outstanding
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,247
    Looks good. I can't believe that the granite cracked.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,791
    Very nice! It looks quite slick :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks great. I like the work areas on either side of the egg.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,774
    Awesome.  I was going to build that almost exactly until I found my premade island.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,565
    That's very nice.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,359
    Awesome! Great job.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • Really really nice looking.  You could have a secondary means of income if you wanted it.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • tulocay said:
    Looks great. I like the work areas on either side of the egg.
    +1

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,133
    I love that!  Congrats!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Very Nice
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 343
    very nice!!!!!!!!!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • I like.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,502
    +5 or 6. Great job, really nice!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • roblewroblew Posts: 77
    SWEET!!!
    Ringgold GA LBGE
    ·
  • It really is nice. Do you have any written plans on how you did it?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • Wow. I hate to break it to you but that is not a nest. It is one kick ass looking spot to park your egg, but nest, I don't think so - excellent looking "nest" as you call it. ^:)^
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Very nice!  Great job!  WHat about the cabinet doors and the drawers, did you get the standard stainless steel BBQ island types?
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Wow! Great job! =D>
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • A job well done !!I'm shocked that the granite cracked thou I assume the granite that cracked was the one under the egg
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • Very cool, nice upgrade
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,311
    very nice  t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Very impressive. Bummer about the cracked granite.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Beautiful job!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • rprice54 said:

The growing family (now at 7) was quickly outgrowing our large egg. 3 years ago when I bought it, I almost went back and got the XL but had sticker shock and stuck with the XL, and for just our family it was fine, but any time we had company I was doing multiple rounds on the grill. I have finally accepted that we need the bigger egg, and the wife is convinced the cost is worth it after eating on the egg for 3 years. A buddy from work bought my large and the basic table I made for it. The wife also wanted a 'built in' look, she was tired of looking at all my grilling accessories on the deck in tupperware containers.

Old Nest:

New Nest:

I used a local granite guy who had some remnants that fit the bill to keep costs down. I thought about poured concrete, granite tile, but in the end I barely had the time to build this, much less the tops. I have since put the egg on a table nest as well. First 5 hour rib smoke and I cracked the granite. It closed up when the egg cooled off, it's sealed with epoxy now. Lesson learned the hard way :(

I used AirStone from Lowes, glued to hardiboard over a pressure treated 2x4 frame wrapped in roofing felt.

rprice54 said:

Old Nest:

New Nest:

·
  • That's awesome.
    ·
  • rprice54rprice54 Posts: 25
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for all the kind comments.

Yes, it was the granite under the egg that cracked. The crack started in the middle of the egg and went straight forward. Didn't go through to the back, very weird. My best guess is that the granite under the egg was hot and wanted to expand, and the granite around the perimeter was cool, and it broke from the inside out. You can't see it until you're right on top of it. Bummer, but still usable.

I really like the sides myself, I use the left as prep area for raw meats, etc, and the right as a 'clean' area for other stuff.

Stainless doors/drawers are Sunstone from Amazon (google sunstonegassgrills).

I do have sketchup files for these. Lemme see if I can post them...
    ·
  • Beautifiul "nest".  Wish I had those skills.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·