Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crock pot favorites?

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
Off Topic.... My wife and I hired a personal trainer a few weeks ago, so we have been pretty religious about getting to the gym after work. And he has been kicking our butts too. After getting back home, the last thing on our minds is cooking. To be honest, I've felt like vomiting quite a few times. I've been egging up an entire week's worth of lunches on Sundays (chicken breast, brown rice and veggies), but for dinner, I need some variety! And I don't like just nuking leftovers up in the microwave for dinner. We are trying a couple different crock pot recipes this week....one is a chili recipe and the other is some sort of fajita dish. Do y'all have any favorite crock pot recipes that are healthy and semi-carb friendly? I would love to add some good and healthy crock pot meals to the rotation for nights when I'm too worn out to fire up the BGE. TIA!

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2013
    Options
    IIRC, you like Indian food. We use our crock pot sparingly, but when it does get used, its usually for Indian stuff.

I have cooked goat curry in the crock by sauteeing onions, garlic, ginger, etc and browning the meat on the stove, then transferring to the crock and letting it go for a few hours on low. Don't add too much water, otherwise the meat tastes kinda boiled. We mostly make a few dals in the crock - kaali dal (black lentils?), lobhia (black-eyed peas), and rajma (red kidney beans) and eat them with rotis and a veg. SWMBO sets up the crock in the morning before leaving for work (with adequate water), and by the time we come home its done. Homemade rotis taste the best, but are labor-intensive, so we buy wheat tortillas from Kroger (made in the store), which are really good and taste great after heating on a griddle or a gas burner. 

The dals are pretty healthy since they don't need oil, and we rarely add ghee to anything. I can try to get you some of SWMBO's recipes if you like.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Pot Roast
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    That sounds great, @caliking ! Unfortunately my wife doesn't like Indian food.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    White chicken chili.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Dyal_SC, not trying to stir things up here but, that's almost like someone saying they don't like American food. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    anything braised, lamb shank, oxtail, coq au vin, vinha d alhos, braised leprachaun, braciole

ive only done most of these in a braisier in the oven but i dont see why a crock on a low setting wouldnt do it

vinha de alhos
    http://www.portuguesecooking.com/recipes/main_dishes/vinha_dalhos

portuguese red beef

http://hedonia.seantimberlake.com/hedonia/2008/10/molha-pressures-on.html

leprechaun

braciole with flank steak

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Something we do occasional that is real simple but good and the kids love it is crockpot chicken breast or pork chops. Put a family size can of cream of chicken soup in the crock pot and dilute with chicken broth. Throw in some carrots and the chops or chicken and season with salt,pepper,and garlic. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower. I love pouring the liquid over biscuits or mashed taters. This dish isn't gourmet but it is easy and good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    Options
    Oops, sorry. But the others have given you some great ideas. I'm going to steal some of them :)

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    A very simple but tasty recipe we make is salsa chicken. Take some frozen chicken breast and pour a lot of good Mexican salsa over them. Cook all day and then shred the chicken about an hour before eating it. It's really pretty good. I'm sure you can find a more accurate description on the Internet.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

Trailer park but good:

Frozen chicken tenders, can cream of chicken soup, block cream cheese and 1 pack dry Italian dressing mix.  Cook 6 hours low then shred chicken with fork and serve over egg noodles.  Kids and I love it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys! @TexanOfTheNorth , sorry about that! I didn't mean to generalize Indian food. I should have been more clear. She just doesn't like curry or some of the other Indian style dishes we've had in the past. :)
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Approximately 1/2 lb top round steak per person, cut intro bite-sized pieces.  Into crock pot with one package Liptons Dry onion Soup.  Add one can Cream of Mushroom Soup and about 1/2 cup water.  Crock pot all day on low.

Serve over either brown rice or cooked noodles.

Will knock your socks off.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @fishlessman , that is some killer looking food! =P~
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Wow, thanks guys! @TexanOfTheNorth , sorry about that! I didn't mean to generalize Indian food. I should have been more clear. She just doesn't like curry or some of the other Indian style dishes we've had in the past. :)
    I wasn't offended! I only get offended when people start putting beans in chili.  [-X
    Options
    LOL... You will hate me. Gonna make crockpot chili tomorrow...and it has beans! B-)
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    SWMBO still asks for ribs done in the crock pot. Stand up on their edges, coil around the sides or toothpick to make circles and drop them in. Depending on the ribs, some take 2-3 hours others take 4-5 hours so you may need a delay start on the cooker. Use any rub you like.
    Like TOTN says, pot roast is always good.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    About the only thing I fix in a crock pot is tortilla soup.  I think that is healthy and it has chicken in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am with you @Dyal, the toughest thing about making chili is which beans to use. I went with Black and Dark Red Kidney beans in my last batch.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I am with you @Dyal, the toughest thing about making chili is which beans to use. I went with Black and Dark Red Kidney beans in my last batch.

No, the toughest thing about it is what to name it.

Bean soup?
    Sopa de Frijoles?
    Beanie Surprise?
    Fart Blossom Special ?
    Yankee Beef Stew ?

The list goes on and on.  Tough choices.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Options

This is something I'm dying to try on the egg but the slow cooker would work. My Indonesian dentist had some made and gave me some to try. One of the best things I've ever tasted.

http://www.food.com/recipe/rendang-padang-indonesian-beef-curry-slow-cooker-272275

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

My favorites for chili are a combination of pinto and small red beans!

Sorry, Texans.........................

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    Options

This is something I'm dying to try on the egg but the slow cooker would work. My Indonesian dentist had some made and gave me some to try. One of the best things I've ever tasted.

http://www.food.com/recipe/rendang-padang-indonesian-beef-curry-slow-cooker-272275

Thanks for that link! I've had beef rendang before, but recently had it again at  an Indonesian restaurant. its damn good stuff. 

• Little Steven
    Options

Blow yer haid right off my friend. Can not wait to make it.

This is the recipe I'm going to use except for the star anise. I'll use one but I find it overpowering.

http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang-recipe-rendang-daging/

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    For chili I've been using a combo of kidney, black and garbanzo beans.  Real chili has beans, anything else is hot dog gravy (which I still happen to love).

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    After my first wife passed away, cooking was not something I wanted to spend time on. So the crock pot was used quite a bit. My favorite aside from the previously offered pot roast is chicken. Take a whole bird and coat it with rub. Place it in the crock pot without any liquid breast side up and turn it on low. After work, your protein is ready for sides. Its that easy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    Options
    For chili I've been using a combo of kidney, black and garbanzo beans.  Real chili has beans, anything else is hot dog gravy (which I still happen to love).
    Wars have been fought over less.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    caliking said:

Wars have been fought over less.

Cal, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

The International Chili Society would like a word. They brought a rope.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    The International Chili Society would like a word. They brought a rope.
    To expand a bit on Eggy's statement, here is a link of recipes of the winners of the INTERNATIONAL Chili Cooking Contests in Terlingua Texas.  I don't believe you will see the word "bean" in any of them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    i hear that after the FDA finalizes their ban on trans fats they are going to mandate healthy beans in chili in texas
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it