Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy quick and tasty weeknight side dishes??

So my biggest issue with weeknight meals tends to be finding quick (30min or less) and tasty side dishes that my kids will actually eat.So sick of potatos one day and rice the next.We usually have a veg too but finding something else to go with the meat and veg tends to be the issue for me.

Anyone like to share some good side-dish recipies that are not overloaded with hard to get ingredients and that are quick and easy to prepare yet tasty!!

Oh and I love noodles and all pastas so if there are any sides that include those let me know:)

thanks

Jamie.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Do you do grilled sweet potatoes? Very tasty.

Does mac&cheese count as a pasta?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Sautéed Kale in EVOO, salt, pepper. Add thinly sliced onions if you want. Good for you and takes 15 minutes. My favorite veggie of the moment: Cauliflower. Cut into florets, toss in EVOO, salt, pepper and curry powder. Roast at 425 for 20 minutes. Even my veggie-hating little one will eat it.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    a little over a half hour but acorn squash halved, filled with butter and dusted with brown sugar. kids would like that. grilled asparugus wrapped in proscuitto, some kids might like that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Sautéed Kale in EVOO, salt, pepper. Add thinly sliced onions if you want. Good for you and takes 15 minutes. My favorite veggie of the moment: Cauliflower. Cut into florets, toss in EVOO, salt, pepper and curry powder. Roast at 425 for 20 minutes. Even my veggie-hating little one will eat it.

I like the curry powder idea will have to try that.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    One of my solutions was to cook a large quantity of something on the weekends that refrigerated or froze well. Mac-n-cheese, fettuccine alfredo, scalloped potatoes, red beans and rice, to name some. Take a portion from the freezer in the morning, and 'wave at dinner.

Instant polenta and kasha can both be made in under half an hour, and both can be enhanced w. the addition of extra ingredients for variety. Polenta can also be formed into patties in advance, and then grilled. Sometimes I toss pre-made biscuits on the Egg to cook and use as buns for burgers or sausage patties that I am also cooking.

Hummus and bean dips can stay fresh in the fridge until needed.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Spaghetti squash. Its abundant this time of year and it suffices both needs. LOL.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    if the eggs already lit, veggie kabobs. peppers, onions, tomatoes, zukes, yellow squash
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Another Cauliflower one: Pureed like mashed potatoes. I did that last night (see pics from my earlier post). Boil CF until very soft. Place in food processor and puree. Add salt, pepper, EVOO and some parmesan cheese. Process until smooth. Takes longer to boil the water than anything else.

What can I say, I like Cauliflower. 

:)>-
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    hondabbq said:

Spaghetti squash. Its abundant this time of year and it suffices both needs. LOL.

+1. We recently discovered this and it is awesome. Cut a spaghetti squash in half, scrape out the seeds,  brush with EVOO, season with rub of choice or S&P. Put it on the egg, cut face up,  ~350°F, for 40 or so minutes. Let it cool so you can handle it, then just scrape out the insides. Very tasty. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Like @Cymbaline65, I like roasted cauliflower. My new favorite side dish with beef is Roasted Cauliflower with Gruyère Sauce. :D

Gruyère Cauliflower
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Any shaped pasta (rotini/penne/bow ties) is great when fresh or reheated and served with something other than a tomato or Alfredo sauce. Out grandkids love a Greek salad dressing with some extra feta cheese tossed on top. Gruyere sauce as noted above would be awesome on a cauliflower pasta mix. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Like @Cymbaline65, I like roasted cauliflower. My new favorite side dish with beef is Roasted Cauliflower with Gruyère Sauce. :D

Gruyère Cauliflower

DANG that looks good.... :-bd
  • CANMAN1976
    Like @Cymbaline65, I like roasted cauliflower. My new favorite side dish with beef is Roasted Cauliflower with Gruyère Sauce. :D

Gruyère Cauliflower

Wow kristi that looks amazing!!! Gotta try it:)
    So for the cheese sauce I guess you just make a rioux and melt in the cheese right??

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Cauliflower mashed potatos are very good. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Sautéed Kale in EVOO, salt, pepper. Add thinly sliced onions if you want. Good for you and takes 15 minutes. My favorite veggie of the moment: Cauliflower. Cut into florets, toss in EVOO, salt, pepper and curry powder. Roast at 425 for 20 minutes. Even my veggie-hating little one will eat it.
    I LOVE kale! We saute red bell peppers in EVOO then add the kale to wilt then squeeze a lemon over it and add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste. This is delicious, healthy, and super fast (<10 min). 

Quinoa is a healthy alternative to rice or other grain based sides.  (make sure you rinse the quinoa well and cook it with chicken stock). Quinoa is gluten free and easier on the digestive system than your other highly processed grains. 

Wow kristi that looks amazing!!! Gotta try it:)
    So for the cheese sauce I guess you just make a rioux and melt in the cheese right??
    Exactly! :)  HERE is how I make it.   
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Oh my That looks amazing... I will be making this tomorrow.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I never liked 'em growing up, brut Brussel Sprouts. Add some chicken stock, bacon and onions and they are delish.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    caliking said:
    hondabbq said:

+1. We recently discovered this and it is awesome. Cut a spaghetti squash in half, scrape out the seeds,  brush with EVOO, season with rub of choice or S&P. Put it on the egg, cut face up,  ~350°F, for 40 or so minutes. Let it cool so you can handle it, then just scrape out the insides. Very tasty. 
    I do it that was as well, but my favorite was is to roast it doing the same prep you mentioned. Scrape it out and sautee with butter, fresh thyme and maple syrup. Damn good eats
  • +1 on the Sprouts. BTW Griffin, last time we had them I used the recipe from you site...Very tasty.
  • CANMAN1976
    Griffin said:

I never liked 'em growing up, brut Brussel Sprouts. Add some chicken stock, bacon and onions and they are delish.

Love the sprouts and the chicken looks good too. Is that thighs or breasts?image

• YUM!  I need to try that @Griffin
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    +2 on spaghetti squash.  I have a simple cook for you on the weeknights..

take a half squash, seeds scraped out, cover in plastic wrap, on a plate and nuke it until it scrapes out into spaghetti with a fork (~5-8 minutes?).  Mix with just a little butter, salt and ground pepper.  If your kids are up for it, sprinkle with parmesan. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Pierogies with my favourite vegetable....bacon!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2013
    Pierogies with my favourite vegetable....bacon!
    Do you cook the pierogies in the bacon grease? 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Maybe I need to get on the whole spaghetti squash thing. I was just told yesterday by SWMBO that we are going no carbs again (after one last pizza night tomorrow). Looking for some variety in side dishes as well.

Rowlett, Texas

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

+1 on the Brussel Sprouts.  I slice them in half (length wise), toss with EVOO, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.  Roast in 400 oven for about 12-15 minutes flipping once.  Place in bowl and coat with balsamic reduction and bacon bits (real bacon) then serve.

So good that 2 of my 3 kids (10 and 7) will eat them.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Another easy side dish is sautéed green beans -- fresh, no cans allowed. ;)  
    Just add butter, garlic, salt & pepper...  and you're good to go!  I made them last night with chicken thighs and garlic mashed potatoes.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Any pasta with brown butter poured on top then a bit of fresh grated parmesan, salt and pepper.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    caliking said:
    hondabbq said:

Is that direct or indirect?

Rowlett, Texas