Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best things I've done yet sous vide and included about three minutes on the BGE

Options
When I was working in Paris as a cook in 98-01 sous vide was becoming all the rage.  I did a one week course on sous vide cooking at LeNotre where we did their equivilant of a brisket cut, sous vide.  Tonight, I did a similar recipe except it was with flank steak.
I had too decent sized flank steaks and trimmed them up the best I could to cut off any fat or silver skin from the meat.  Next I sliced two onions in to thin pieces and cooked them down until they were soft and carmelized.  I also included maybe one or two cloves of garlic in that mixture.  While I was doing that, I had a full bottle of red wine, cheap enough to cook with but still decent enough to drink and reduced taht by at least 50%.  Then I added the wine to the mixture, seasoned the steaks with salt and bagged them up individually.  I put in the demi at 130 for 24 hours, took them out, put the meat aside and strained the onions, thyme twigs, etc. and started to reduce the cooking liquid and wine mixture.  I made a beurre marnier, added it and cooked it for around 30 minutes to ensure the flour was cooked.  
When my guests came over, I tossed the steaks on the egg at 700 degrees.  The steaks and my sauces were perfect.  This was the best thing I've made so far in the demi.  YUM!

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wow! That sounds amazing, especially the sauce. Bookmarked for future reference, when I start giving the demi a workout. Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    I reccomend this one for sure.  Man, was it good.  I did some sous vide brussels sprouts and carrots tonight too and decided to cook for an hour at 175 instead of 183, the temp where pectine breaks down.  Whoops, that was a mistake.  The carrots were great, they can stand to be "under cooked." I actually prefer them with a little bit of crunch but the sprouts at these temps were just too hard.
     Brillat-Savarin
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks killer. Ive wanted a sous vide setup for a while.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice. on the list
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Wow, that steak is cooked perfectly and the sauce sounds fantastic!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    That sounds and looks great, King.  Question: was the wine in the pouch while sous videing? Sometimes, I will put a "liquid" in, but I freeze it first because it will run out when vacuum packing.  However, that would be a problem with wine because of the alcohol.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow. That is impressive. Good job. =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Options
    I officially hate you. (j/k)

Great looking cook and definitely want a sous vide.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    So no issues sealing the meat with that much liquid? Or did you use a zip lock bag? Cook looks wonderful.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Nope, it wasn't a problem sealing these two bags.  I have a food saver (would like to upgrade to a chamber machine) and I put it on the liquid and gentle settings.  As soon as I see the liquid heading towards the seal, I press the seal button to stop the vaccum and heat up the bag.  Before I did this, I put two seals on the bottom and then I put another one on top after the bag is sealed up.
    Village, I think you're refering to alcohol in the sous vide and the strage flavors that it gives food.  Being that I reduced this bottle of wine by 50-60%, there was little if any booze left in the bag.  So I did cook the meats with the wine and onion mixture, the same way I used to about 15 years back.  The wine mixture takes on some of the juice from the meat and makes a really nice sauce once you finish it up.  I need to find my notes from the Le Notre sous vide class I took.  I'll be doing this again very soon, it was fantastic and still had that flank steak taste.  
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Angus1978
    Options
    Scallops are great in SV.  I took some flash frozen 6 month old scallops I found in my freezer.  Ran water over them to get the ice off of them, patted dry.  Then dropped them in the foodsaver bag with some pepper and butter.  Dropped them in a 121 degree bath for an hour, and seared with a little EVOO  in a 400 degree CI skillet for 30 seconds on each side.    

Was delicious!!!  Best SV experience I've had so far
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight