Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

First brisket cook results

Cooked my first brisket this weekend. It was an 11 pound packer from SuperTarget. No grade markings, but it said Sterling Silver Premium Meats on the packaging.

It took 18.5 hours to get the flat tender, which ended up being about 185 dF (I think, I don't really trust my manual thermometer). I let it rest for about 30 minutes before slicing, it might have been too hot still. Here are some pictures I took.

On the Egg at 250 dome temp with a mix of pecan and hickory chunks. I doused it in worchestershire and rubbed with head country rub, kicked up with cayenne and red pepper flakes. I also coated generously in course ground black pepper after the head country.

Here it is right before I pulled it off.

I went to separate the point from the flat before slicing, but I couldn't really figure out where that was. Here is my knife where I thought it was.

The flat by itself (I think).

Sliced. I was a little disappointed in the lack of a smoke ring. I thought putting it on the Egg straight from the fridge would do it!
 It was pretty difficult to slice, not because it was tough, but because it was beginning to pull. Perhaps I overcooked? Is that possible with brisket?

Attempted to cube the point for burnt ends. It started to shred when I started slicing. I used some Wild Boar Sauce I made a week ago...Love that stuff. Turned out pretty tasty.

SWMBO made potato salad to go with it!

I went to put the brisket away for leftovers, but it started to shred, so I just went with it. Can't wait for brisket enchiladas!

Overall, turned out pretty good for my first brisket, in my opinion. SWMBO and our guest thought it was great, but I was a little disappointed in the slicing job I did; it was like slicing pulled pork! At least it's always fun trying again!

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate any suggestions for my next attempt!
- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments