Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gumbo Recipe

A couple of folks are looking for a Gumbo recipe.  I did not want to post on someone else's thread, so here it is.  Some may consider it a "cheat" because I use a packaged seasoning mix, but it makes great Gumbo, I have shared it with many folks.  Mix is from Louisiana Fish Fry Products.  Readily available in parts of the south, and some other places.  I have a buddy in Baton Rouge that sets me up every year, but you can buy it on line too.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Cookinbob, thanks for chiming in. I will have to check this out. Not a cheat if it works.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Those work great.....both Zatarain's and Tony Chachere's Gumbo mixes are very good
  • I've made shrimp gumbo for many years.  Shortly after Katrina, I made some for refugees fleeing to Houston.  They said it was the best gumbo they'd ever eaten (of course, they were starving to death at the time)  :D

Ingredients:

2 lbs. Shrimp  , peeled

1/2 + cup Roux  (make your own ... 1/2 c flour, 1/2 cup crisco or lard)

4 cups Shrimp stock, If short, use Penzey's Seafood Stock

2 cups Onions, chopped

2 cups Celery, chopped

1 cup Bell pepper, chopped

10 oz. Okra, frozen, cut

1 8 oz. can  Tomato Sauce

1/4 cup Parsley, chopped

1 can Chicken broth, 13 oz. 

3 Bay leaves

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon Thyme

1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet

2 teaspoons Garlic Salt

2 teaspoons Pepper  

Tabasco hot sauce, to taste

Gumbo filet, to taste

Directions:

1. Add shrimp stock, roux, chicken broth, and all vegetables in a large pot.  Cook until vegetables are tender.  Add tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.  Add remaining ingredients except tabasco, filet, and rice, and simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Serve over hot rice.  Sprinkle tabasco and filet on top to taste.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited November 2013
    I have made 'all out' gumbo many times and, alas, confess to 'cheating' at times. As long as you're 'cheating' with a spice mix consider cheating on your roux by using the microwave. Only an expert will be able to tell. 
  • I have made 'all out' gumbo many times and, alas, confess to 'cheating' at times. As long as you're 'cheating' with a spice mix consider cheating on your roux by using the microwave. Only an expert will be able to tell. 
    I don't consider using the microwave for roux cheating.  I cook it on the stove until light brown, then put it in the microwave for one minute, stir, then put it in for one more minute.  It usually comes out chocolate brown, which is what I want for gumbo.  However, I do draw a line at mixes and pre-made rouxs like Kary's.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I don't consider the microwave cheating, either. I've been doing it for years.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have never been satisfied with a roux I made "the hard way".  Never dark or flavorful enough - I suspect I lack the patience.  Never heard of using the microwave, VI, I may give a try!   

The "pseudo roux" I do with the seasoning mix gives me the right color and flavor, and the spice is right to my taste.  I tried a roux in a jar once and did not like it at all.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    ive only had my own gumbo made from a roux but see no problem with package mixes, ill give it a try if i see some. whats a microwave
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it