Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts from last nights Paella

Options
First, thanks to all you guys for the idea to finally do paella. As I stated yesterday, I kinda mixed Naked Whiz's method with Alton Brown's method for paella.
Building the fire per Naked Whiz worked out perfectly for keeping the paella (pan) evenly hot throughout the process.

Searing the chicken thighs/andouille sausage.

Here preparing the sofrito. This part of the process took longer than I expected for the vegetables to thicken and caramelize. 

Adding the rice, meats, asparagus, and saffron infused chicken broth.

Almost finished product. 

Due to time constraints (The Bama game was coming on), I had to pull it off the egg before the socarrat completely developed. I know I know...
It was delicious anyhow. I found that squeezing the roasted garlic cloves out of the bulb was delicious to mix with the rice. Next time I will add the asparagus or whatever vegetable later in the cook as they turned into mush. Will definitely add this to the roster!
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Looks good! Did you close the dome for the whole cook?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I usually use seafood and add it on at the very end. Looks great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    Once they get a taste of the soccorat, they won't mind waiting.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Congrats and you can't beat BGE fire-roasted garlic for a good night on the couch :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks great! Nicely done for your first time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @Little_Steven, I left the dome open while searing the meat and caramelizing the sofrito. I didn't close the dome until I added the rice and liquid. Naked Whiz's instructions say to adjust the vents to achieve 350 dome temp, but I never got it below 450. Didn't seem to matter.

@MJH, I really look forward to enjoying the socarrat next time, but "they" aren't to blame. I love Egging/cooking, but NOTHING gets in the way of Alabama Football.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    NOTHING gets in the way of Alabama Football.
    Must be nice to have the best team in college football for the home team!  Many of us have never experienced that!

Congrats on the Paella.  It is fun cook, and a regular on my rotation.  Like @henapple, I usually have seafood (shrimp and clams or mussels) and don't add until near the end.  Though our college football is so-so up here, paella always wins!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY