Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

17 hrs for an 8 pound Boston Butt?

Options
NervousDad
NervousDad Posts: 307
edited November 2013 in Pork
I bought a pork shoulder roast from Wegman's last weekend (7.8 lb.) to do my first Boston butt cook. I used my AR with the stone and a drip pan with some water in it. I cooked just below the felt line at 250 dome temp. After 17hrs it wouldn't get above 190. Does that seem right? 2:15 per pound? 

During the first hour the temp fluctuated a bit from 225 to 275, but after that it held steady at 250.
Aurora,OH

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I always alot for 2 hours per pound in that temp range. Doesn't seem to far off.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,751
    Options
    water in the pan slows the cooking times by a couple hours on a low and slow, it drops the temps right under the butt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have you checked to see it temp gauge is correct?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NervousDad
    Options
    Thanks guys! 

Does the drip pan make any diffidence to the tenderness? I also trimmed most of the fat cap off and did a small injection of apple juice and sprayed it down with apple juice at the 8 hour mark. 

I calibrated the thermometer when I first got it in july, maybe I should check it again.
    Aurora,OH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,751
    Options
    the water in the drip pan doesnt do anything for this cook but slow it down, i just wrap the pan in foil for easy cleanup. you can speed things up and bump the temps to 300 later in the cook as well, some are even cooking at 300 plus the whole cook. i typically shoot for 14 hours and adjust temps as needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mtasker
    Options
    i did a 7.5 boston butt last weekend.  on the egg at 0730 at 250.  4pm pulled at 205 internal.  ftc until 6pm.  awesome stuff.
  • Mickey
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I only put salt in any drip pan. You can see it in this pic. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Why?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Options
    henapple said:
    Why?

Sounds better than sand.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I agree no need for anything in the drip pan.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Also, spraying it with liquid, depending on how heavy you spray can add up to an hour due to extending the evaporative cooling process during the stall. 
    Pentwater, MI
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I did one from Wegmans recently, 7-8# and cooked it at 240-250 for 12 hrs, pulled at 200 and FTC for 2 hrs and it fell apart.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Sounds right for that temp.  Did a 9 pound Wegman's this past weekend.  On Egg at 350 Dome at 8 AM.  Reached 165 IT around 1:00. Wrapped in foil, and reached 205 IT by 3:00.  FTC'd til 5:30.  Family thought it was the best one yet.  Very juicy, nice bark, great flavor.
    Options
    Sorry to ignorant but what is FTC?

• cali_egghead
    Options

Foil Towel Cooler

it lets the juices settle back into the meat
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options

Wrap in foil, wrap in towels and place in a cooler to keep hot. You can keep a butt or brisket hot for hours.
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    for me it's FNPTC - foil newspaper plasticbag towel cooler.  
    - newspaper for extra insulation and absorb any leaks
    - plastic bag to keep the towel clean
    canuckland
  • cali_egghead
    Options
    for me it's FNPTC - foil newspaper plasticbag towel cooler.  
    - newspaper for extra insulation and absorb any leaks
    - plastic bag to keep the towel clean
    I will have to do that from now on. I HATE having to clean the towels after all the juices are soaked in them.