Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peel and Open Rockwood Charcoal Bag

Options
Ragtop99
Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I just opened a Rockwood bag of charcoal that is packed in their competition bag.  Most of the bags from our group buy were regular retail bags, but we got competition bags too. The competition bag is a generic bag without the Rockwood name and logo so your competitors don't know what you are cooking on.  It had a little pull tab and the string just peeled back.  Easiest bag of charcoal I've ever opened.  Most of the time I'm fighting with the string  (I never know the magic way to open the bag), or I end up taking a box cutter to the top of a bag of charcoal.  Next group buy, I'll take all my bags packed this way.  :)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.

Comments

• Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Options

I experienced the same thing.  Thought that I had come across the super secret opening technique but then tried to open one of the other brand labeled bags that we got.  Had to break out the scissors for that one.

Definitely liking the lump.  Using it right now as I type on four slabs of SLC ribs. 

Not sure if all that I got will last me through winter. 

RMN

Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Sorry.....only have 5 pallets of those left, then they are gone. A lot of my competitors decided they liked the Rockwood bags better when we started sponsoring teams and got popular.

I liked that easy pull strip as well, but those are only available on pinch bottom bags. Everything else we do is square bottom so they stand up.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Loving the Rockwood that I got at Firecraft... I never bother with the string, I always open my bags with a Benchmade.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @hapster where is firecraft? Interested in trying Rockwood. Even though I'm a big Humphrey fan I'm always willing to try something new.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

@hapster where is firecraft? Interested in trying Rockwood. Even though I'm a big Humphrey fan I'm always willing to try something new.
    FireCraft, Inc.
    1028 Saunders Lane
    West Chester, PA 19380

Sales / Customer Service Phone: 1-800-745-6109
    FAX: 484-887-1655
    Corporate Phone: 610-692-4027
    Sales Email: sales@firecraft.com
    Customer Service Email: service@firecraft.com

Same complex as Quadratec(sp?) which is Jeep and truck accessories. Just figure out what you want, and order online or give them a call. Speak with Dan, and he'll let you know if they have the stuff in stock so you can pick it up. There really isn't a show room. Dan was very helpful and I will be returning there when I need more lump.

Really like the Rockwood... Lights easy, burns long, and there is very little ash compared to what you are burning. The smoke is fairly neutral as well. Well worth getting a few bags to check it out. My first bag is mostly small to med sized pieces; but that hasn't hurt the performance any