Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rotisserie Kit for the Green Egg?

Options
Their is a rotisserie kit on ebay for a large Green Egg. Does anyone think it would work as well as they say?  Ebay item number 281204881934  

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    No need for a rotisserie kit if you have a method to go indirect in my opinion.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I find it unnecessary. it would mean that you 1) notch out the side or 2) have just an open lid during the cook. Just put the chicken in v-shaped rib holder and be done with it.  The rotisserie is used to just get an even heat distribution while it is cooking.  The Egg already does that. (IMnot-so-HO). 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited November 2013
    Options
    +1 on not needed
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited November 2013
    Options

Don't know about the kit, but a few years back I bought at an estate sale an old Japanese Imperial Kamado that was rigged with a rack to hold a motor and bar.  After some help from friends, this evolved. The 6 and 12 o'clock positon on the base have notches for the dowl  and in the rear was a bracket to mount a motor.  I usually use it for poultry or rolled up pork bellies to get an even sear around the item.. For that price I hope you get the egg also.  I use mine every month or so and that is a very eggspensive toy IMHO.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=733517&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1196415&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1297141&catid=1

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Neat gizmo, but the price is steep. For that kinda money, you're better off investing in an adjustable rig setup from CGS or a wifi temp controller, IMO.

Don't know about the kit, but a few years back I bought at an estate sale an old Japanese Imperial Kamado that was rigged with a rack to hold a motor and bar.  After some help from friends, this evolved. The 6 and 12 o'clock positon on the base have notches for the dowl  and in the rear was a bracket to mount a motor.  I usually use it for poultry or rolled up pork bellies to get an even sear around the item..

That's a sweet little kamado. In the first thread, Brian (swamprb) was mentioned. I know of him form another forum, and he really does some nice restoration work. In the second thread you mentioned Kali Jeera/Gobindo Bhog rice. That rice is usually expensive - more expensive than basmati I think. Gobindo Bhog translates as "food of the gods" in Hindi and Bengali. Typically used for making "kheer" (sweet rice pudding), often made during religious ceremonies/festivals and offered to the deities. However it doesn't have much flavor, and so is not usually eaten with an entree as part of the main course of  a meal. If you really like it, you should be able to find it at a Bangladeshi store. Have not usually seen it at Indian/Pakistani grocers.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    caliking said:
    Neat gizmo, but the price is steep. For that kinda money, you're better off investing in an adjustable rig setup from CGS or a wifi temp controller, IMO.

Don't know about the kit, but a few years back I bought at an estate sale an old Japanese Imperial Kamado that was rigged with a rack to hold a motor and bar.  After some help from friends, this evolved. The 6 and 12 o'clock positon on the base have notches for the dowl  and in the rear was a bracket to mount a motor.  I usually use it for poultry or rolled up pork bellies to get an even sear around the item..

That's a sweet little kamado. In the first thread, Brian (swamprb) was mentioned. I know of him form another forum, and he really does some nice restoration work. In the second thread you mentioned Kali Jeera/Gobindo Bhog rice. That rice is usually expensive - more expensive than basmati I think. Gobindo Bhog translates as "food of the gods" in Hindi and Bengali. Typically used for making "kheer" (sweet rice pudding), often made during religious ceremonies/festivals and offered to the deities. However it doesn't have much flavor, and so is not usually eaten with an entree as part of the main course of  a meal. If you really like it, you should be able to find it at a Bangladeshi store. Have not usually seen it at Indian/Pakistani grocers.

Here is my source for the rice.