Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchock Turkey Breast - Lots of Smoke (bad)

danv23danv23 Posts: 463
So i cut away the backbone from a turkey breast, put on a AR direct at 400.  It's smoking away - no smoke when i put it on - and i know it's gonna taste like crap cuz the smoke smells like crap.  What did I do wrong?

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
·

Comments

• I would imagine it is the drippings on the hot coals. I get it all the time with burgers. Hopefully all will be well.
    Southern Indiana
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,184
    I am betting you will be surprised when you taste it. Every spatched chicken I cook I get get the fat dripping smoke but they always taste great. Good luck. Let's us know the final verdict

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 463
    Will let y'all know soon.  Cookin fast.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·
    All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,184
    Very happy that your worries failed to come true. Any pics?

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    It wouldn't be right if I didn't picture brag.. Here ya go...imageimageimageimage

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,607
    Nice! I'd like to try a turkey breast some time - whole turkey gets to be too much for just us two. Its hard waiting until Thanksgiving every year to have turkey!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • revolver1revolver1 Posts: 339
    edited November 2013
    Glad it turned out great, they usually do.  I do mine in a similar way.  I take the bone in breast, filet the meat off after removing the skin.  Season then rotate one half 180 and tie them back together.  That makes a uniform piece.  Yum!  One can put the skin back on if desired but I usually don't.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • caliking said:
    Nice! I'd like to try a turkey breast some time - whole turkey gets to be too much for just us two. Its hard waiting until Thanksgiving every year to have turkey!
    I get the breast on sale, routinely .99/lb.  Stock up and have them year around.  Better than chicken IMO.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
    I do the same thing.  Look for $0.99 per pound and load up the freezer. I used to not spatchock, and cook indirect.  Never again.

Cumming, GA
    ·