Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teppanyaki vis á vis Benihana's

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to do a cook like the Japanese Steakhouses.  I prepared the raws.

The raws.  I took this picture, and then took the SD card to my computer to check to see if it was OK.  During that time, one of my dogs jumped on the chair and ate one of my filet mignons.  When I got back, he had an unashamed look on his face, as if to say "Is there a problem here?"

The oils and sauces

Sorry, I had to go to the Weber to use the larger grill.image

Plated

The filet was very tender and cooked to my preferred doneness.

Since I was the only one cooking, the meat got a little cold before the veggies were done.  Next time, I'll either have two people cooking or put the meat into a 200 degree oven.  But, overall, I was very pleased.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Can I come be your dog?  I won't even poop in the yard. Another amazing looking oriental cook VI, very nicely done.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @Village_Idiot-your cooks are always several magnitudes of skill, presentation and talent above most of us who frequent here.  That said, I always enjoy your posts and the effort you put forth to achieve the results.  And ride that Vespa to Salado in style :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Photos to a new level my friend. Food is not half bad.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Did you juggle your clevers when you were cooking? Looks great!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Great cook! I love going to Japanese steak houses, yours looks awesome. I feel your pain...I have lunkheaded untrustworthy dogs too.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice!  How hard was it to make the rice on the griddle/plancha?  I would likely make a real mess of that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    caliking said:
    Very nice!  How hard was it to make the rice on the griddle/plancha?  I would likely make a real mess of that. 
    Cal,
    Next time, I'll use the bigger griddle for the rice.  I used two spatulas like they do at Benihana's and it worked well. I just didn't have enough room.  I added dark soy sauce.  I think I added a little too much, but it tasted good.  I also forgot to bring out an egg to add to it. Next time.....

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Very nice!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Looks better than the steak houses I have been to in Tokyo.  Great presentation as always. Would the rice have been easier in a wok?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    give me an onion volcano and you get a 10....right now its a solid 9
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Looks better than the steak houses I have been to in Tokyo.  Great presentation as always.
    Thanks Richard.  It's always nice to get complimented by an expert.  Yes, in this case, the rice would have been easier in a wok.  I think it would have been easier too if I had used the larger griddle.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• caliking
    Options
    Cool. My favorite is "yang chow" fried rice which doesn't have any soy, but has egg, ham, peas and some other veggies in it. I can eat that stuff by the potful!

Does the rice get a crispy/crunchy texture on the griddle? I might try that. 

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    What a great cook, I am not worthy!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    caliking said:
    Cool. My favorite is "yang chow" fried rice which doesn't have any soy, but has egg, ham, peas and some other veggies in it. I can eat that stuff by the potful!

Not really.  I put some small shrimp bits and garlic on the griddle, then heat it for awhile, then I put the rice on the griddle and move it around  until it sizzles a little, then I add dark soy sauce.  I should have put an egg to the side, halfway cooked it, then incorporated it into the rice, but I forgot the egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Can you invite me over for dinner please?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    caliking said:

I find that day old rice and just a little peanut oil in a hot wok get me crispy rice if I move it around alot. Add any soy at the end to keep it dry during cooking.

• caliking
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, VI and Richard. I have much to learn about wokking on the egg :)

• Richard Fl
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for the tips, VI and Richard. I have much to learn about wokking on the egg :)
    Little Ot, this is my favorite rice dish of all.
    Rice, Persian, W/Pistachios & Dill
    Tah-dig--The Crunchy Crust of rice on the bottom of the pot--is considered by many to be the prize of Persian rice..  Here it is revealed by the surprise of pistachios, whose natural sweetness is brought out by the dill.
    INGREDIENTS:
    3 Cups Basmati Rice, (1 1/4 Lb.)
    4 Qt. Water
    3 Tbs Salt, for water
    3/4 Stick Butter, Unsalted (6 Tbs.)
    2/3 Cup Dill, Chopped, Fresh
    1 Cup Pistachios, Shelled, Chopped Coarsely (5 Ozs.)
    Procedure:
    1. Rinse rice in several changes of cold water in a large bowl until the water runs clear. Drain in a sieve.
    2. Bring water and salt to a boil in a 6-qt. heavy pot and parboil rice., uncovered, 5 minutes. Drain in large sieve.
    3. Melt butter in bottom of cleaned heavy pot and spoon rice over it, enough to cover bottom about 1/2-3/4 inch thick, then alternating with sprinkles of dill and pistachios and mounding loosely, ending with rice. Usually 4-5 layers. Make 5-6 holes in rice to bottom of pot with round handle of a wooden spoon, then cover the pot with a kitchen towel and a heavy lid. Fold edges of towel up over lid (to keep towel from burning) and cook rice, undisturbed over moderately low heat until tender and a crust forms on the bottom, 30-35 minutes.
    4. Spoon loose rice onto a platter and dip bottom of pan in a large bowl of cold water 30 seconds to loosen tah-dig (the rice crust on the bottom). Remove tah-dig with a large spoon and serve in a seperate bowl or over loose rice.
    Recipe Type: Side Dish
    Source
    Author: Unknown
    Source: Richard Howe, 2001/05/25

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    It's amazing cooks and posts from you VI that have me considering ebaying my egg & accessories...

Well done. That looks like it was a fantastic meal!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    When i think of you doing this cook all i can picture is Chris Farley cooking hibatchi in Bevery Hills Ninja. Hilarious.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA