Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cen-Tex Smoker Brisket Method Questions

2»

Comments

• If it's still stalled (1pm central) time to bump it up to 260-275.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Update 2: Bumped the temp control to 250 degrees and at 2:00 we are at 175 degrees. Will be pushing dinner back a little bit but that will be ok.
  • tdub4 said:
    Update 2: Bumped the temp control to 250 degrees and at 2:00 we are at 175 degrees. Will be pushing dinner back a little bit but that will be ok.
    You have arrived!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Update 3: BBQ Guru probe hit 185 in the flat near the point. Checked with the thermopen and not buttery smooth yet AND other areas (including thinner part of the flat) were in the 175-ish range. Bumped up to 260 degrees and will see what happens.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You may need higher temp... 280 if not 300°

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I'd say depending on what time you are shooting for to have dinner I'd bump it up to at least 280 like @caliking said.  Remember whether you cooler it or not you are going to want to wait at least 15-30 minutes before carving.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @tdub4-now is not the time to short-change this cook regardless of any external influences.  You have too much invested. The feel in the thickest part of the flat is the finish-line independtent of temp. Ride this one home and enjoy the eats...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've had to cut the point off before. A lot more fat... Quicker cook.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    edited November 2013
    I was told to take a picture or it never happened. After all of my posts and questions, it would be hard to believe it didn't happen, but I did get a picture with the cell phone of the finished product.

Overall it was pretty good...I asked for honest opinions and my wife said it was a little on the spicy side for her (I like the spice) and one other said maybe a little too much salt taste (must of been in the rub). Got some compliments as well and some went back for more (that is what I look for).

My opinion is that it seemed just ever so slightly on the dry side but not bad at all and it did not have a pronounced smoke ring. Other than that I was happy. I put it on at 1:45 am and pulled off at 4:45pm. I did start it low and ramped up next morning/afternoon so that was part of the lengthy cook. Rested for about an hour and a half. Looking forward to trying it again.

Thanks to EVERYONE for their input and help. I greatly appreciate it and hope to have enough experience one day to pay it forward!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks for the update. I was  wondering how things turned out. No matter what though - no pics= didn't happen :)

I enlarged the pic, and it looks like a fine brisket to me. The smoke ring is for aesthetics, as long as it tasted like good bbq. From what I can see, I'd be damn happy if my brisket turned out like that.

Thanks for sharing!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2013
    you are now officially off and running. the best cake you ever bake won't be your first, the first time you hit a golf ball won't be your best effort. It takes a little time and practice but you are out fo the gate. As far as the smoke ring goes, they are hard to come by with eggs unless you are in the right climate. You need a lot of moisture in the air to get them consistantly. i never get them here but they are very pronounced when I take my egg to the beach. If you really want a smoke ring, add some pink salt to your rub as I did here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1154890/smoke-ring-troubles-centex-can-help/p1
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • =D>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    the first time you hit a golf ball won't be your best effort

Actually it was... So I quit.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN