Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Hairline Crack in Base

I've had it for about 16 months and I just noticed a hirline crack that runs from the front all of the way to the back.  Is this someting to worry about?  I bought it new so I don't think that the warranty would be in question.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Mine has a large crack through most of the bottom of my xl. I'm cooking a brisket in it right meow. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • imageimage
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    That is what mine looks like.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    edited November 2013
    Mine has a large crack through most of the bottom of my xl. I'm cooking a brisket in it right meow. 

I'm sorry did you just say meow?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yes that's an issue. Take a picture and bring it to your dealer you will get a new base. The crack will get bigger and with high heat cooks the crack widens. Mine got to the point where ash would fall through
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

I was waiting til I get the new LBGE base (warranty coverage approved and on the next regularly scheduled delivery to my dealer) before posting the story but you have moved the topic to the fore-front.  Short story-as @Lit says-took a couple of pics-called the dealer, sent them the pics and then a pdf of the receipt and all should be good. (Base is in the mail so to speak...)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Yes like @LIt says it is an issue, ash fell through my crack and started my table on fire. Sent this pic to my dealer and had a new base if 5 days.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    My first large purchased in 2010 has had a crack in the base for two years.  I have the new base but have just been too lazy to install a Rutland and switch it out.  The only bad thing is that it leaks when I'm doing brisket or pork butt and makes a mess.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE