Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pretzel Buns

I saw the Pretzel Bun recipe and decided to give it a try. I had one issue I will share and then maybe someone else can pipe in their experience. I made the dough  using a Cuisinart. I makes dough in a snap and I use it for pizza dough all the time. I followed the directions and all was well until the directions said to form into balls and put on a stone or the baking dish to rest for 15 minutes.

Rolling in to the balls wasn't an issue. I put them on a slightly oiled cookie sheet to let rest covered for 15 minute prior to the water bath. Here is where the problem occurred. While they sat resting for the 15 minutes they lost their shape and became more flattened. As I went to put them in the water bath they totally lost their shape and stretched a little more like an oblong roll. After doing several this way I decided to put them back into a ball shape again before I put them in the water. This seemed to work.

When all was said and done the ones I put back into a ball came out more like a bun and the others were more like oblong shaped.

They all came out very tasty. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. Unless I hear a better method I will just reshape into a ball again before the water bath.  

Palm City, FL

Comments

• When I made them earlier this week, I think mine had a similar same experience...I noticed they seemed to fall and were more squatty then round, but they seemed to fall evenly...I didnt think much of it until I read your comment...I just baked them that way...they might have been slightly football shaped (some more then others), but we used the more round ones for buns and saved the others just to snack on

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Hmm, I've done pretzels/pretzel rolls a few times and haven't had this problem. Is the 15 minute rest your rise time? I usually make the dough, shape, and let rise for an hour or two, until they are puffed up nicely. Then I take them to the water bath. Are you allowing for an adequate rise?
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    Hoov - Yes following the instructions exactly. After making dough, let rise for 1 hour (volume doubled) , gently kneed then divide into balls then place on stone or pan and cover to let rest for another 15 minutes before bath. It is just during the 15 minutes they go from balls to flattening out again and when you try and lift them up to put into bath they sort of stretch out and lose their shape even more. Like I said if I reshape into a ball before putting into bath they come out more like a bun. So for now that will have to work.
    Palm City, FL
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Sounds like your dough was a tad wet. When I made them last week, I had to add a tablespoon or two of extra flour to get the dough to clear the KA bowl. Mine flattened a bit during the second rise, but I didn't have trouble getting them into the water bath. If you re-roll before the bath, you'll end up with denser rolls. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Luvflt

jlsm - Maybe so. The dough was a little sticky but not such you couldn't handle it. I will try next time to make it a little dryer. Frankly the dough handled and came out much the same as any other dough I have made so it seemed ok to me. I'll give it a try and see. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Thanks for the tip.

Palm City, FL
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    I'm not a bread expert by any means, but I would say you need to reverse your rest/rise steps. I would make the dough, let the large dough ball rest for 15 min so that it is "relaxed" enough to shape without it pulling back on itself. Then, let it rise for an hour or two in your desired shape before the water bath. Just my opinion. I'm definitely not an expert, but have cooked pretzels a few times.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Luvflt

I was just following the recipe and did what it said to do. It was from BGE so some chef probably came up with it. I am sure I can tweek it with a few tries at things. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Most doughs however need to rise for an hour or so first. Many recipes even call for rising kneeding then rising again. Just depends on the type of bread etc.

Palm City, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    from what i remember from reading that recipe i think the water bath is too long. from expirimenting last year 5 seconds seemed to puff them up and a longer bath almost made them shrivel. i was also using lye instead of baking soda so maybe that had something to do with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Luvflt
    I didn't see a problem with the water bath at 30 seconds. It didn't shrivel anything up just put a thin coating of cooked dough on the outside. They seemed to puff up enough as well. Oh well.
    Palm City, FL