Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket/Dutch Oven = Chilli

Options
Ok guys, 

I picked up my DO today. Got a Lodge CI 7qt. I almost grabbed the enamel coated cast CI but didnt want to smoke the pretty red color. I figured the uncoated could take more abuse. I do regret it doesnt have the campfire handle but I dont camp so it should work. 

I smoked a brisket last weekend and I have about 2.5-3 lbs remaining. I need a chilli recipe thats not toooo spicy. There are so many recipes out there but most of the m seem to be on the spicy side. I dont mind but SWMBO doesnt want it too hot. Ill reserve the hot batch for the fellas on game days. 

Also, I have the woo2; should I use a grid and place the DO close to the lump or should I Use the BGE plate setter and sit the DO right in top? 

I am all excited for tomorrow's cook and dont have the technique...

I have:
smoked brisket
italian sausage
crushed red pepper
chilli powder
onions
garlic
salt pepper
dizzy pig cow lick

What else, any advice? I am going to the grocery store in the morning. Hoping to have the egg fired up before noon. 

XL BGE 
Joe JR 
Baltimore, MD

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Options
    Look up egrets cow lick chili and use his recipe as a guide. It's not very spicy.
    Edina, MN

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    ok, i ended up making Cowlick/brisket chilli. Its about 15 mins from being pulled. It smells amazin. image
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BamaFanInArky
    BamaFanInArky Posts: 30
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Nice!  I leave all peppers out of the cowlick recipe and it is still pretty spicy.   Let us know how it turned out with the brisket.  I've only made it with sausage/ground beef.   
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    This thread is from 2 years ago, but the chilli was fantastic. I have made it several times since then. It really isnt too spicy. Just enough for the Mrs. I actually bumped the heat up a notch about 3 weeks ago. So good. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    This thread is from 2 years ago, 
    It still looks great, even after 2 years my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    Ok guys, 

I picked up my DO today. Got a Lodge CI 7qt. I almost grabbed the enamel coated cast CI but didnt want to smoke the pretty red color. I figured the uncoated could take more abuse. I do regret it doesnt have the campfire handle but I dont camp so it should work. 

I smoked a brisket last weekend and I have about 2.5-3 lbs remaining. ...

What else, any advice? I am going to the grocery store in the morning. Hoping to have the egg fired up before noon. 

Whatever you put together is going to be awesome with that brisket!  Post some pics of the results.

I did my first CI DO chili a while back and posted all the details HERE.  
    It was good!   :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland