Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Mesquite Legs

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
No big photo essay this time.  Legs well marinated in Allegro Hot & Spicy and cooked direct with mesquite wood.  Pretty darned spicy
>:)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I bought some of the Allegro after seeing you use it so often. It's really good on chicken. Thanks for the rec.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I bought some of the Allegro after seeing you use it so often. It's really good on chicken. Thanks for the rec.
    It really has a place with chicken legs and "London Broil".

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm going to try Allegra if it's that spicy. The chicken looks good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice looking legs there. I have always avoided mesquite with poultry, thought it would be too much. Might have to give it a try...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Nice lookin legs!! :D
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm going to try Allegra if it's that spicy. The chicken looks good.
    These were marinated 48 hours.  It does have a kick, but these were stronger than usual.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Might have to look online for a source...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @hapster, do you have a Harris teeter nearby? They carry it in the sauce section, along with Bone Sucking Sauce. I have 3 bottles I need to do something with.

@doc_eggerton, what is the average time you marinate them(12-24-48) Does the heat level increase with longer times? I know you did 48 this go around but do you normally do overnight?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    hapster said:
    Might have to look online for a source...
    This thread has strayed a little, but my opinion is , Allegro Hot & Spicy for chicken (especially legs), and tougher cuts of beef, Yoshida's Teriyaki for any chicken, turkey thighs, and less expensive beef, Dichickos Garlic for wings and pork.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Turkey

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    @hapster, do you have a Harris teeter nearby? They carry it in the sauce section, along with Bone Sucking Sauce. I have 3 bottles I need to do something with. @doc_eggerton, what is the average time you marinate them(12-24-48) Does the heat level increase with longer times? I know you did 48 this go around but do you normally do overnight?
    I marinate everything at least 24 hours.  The legs were an interrupted cook and went 48 hours.  They were good, and a good deal hotter than normal.  Only negative I have ever had for long marinades was chicken breasts marinated in Italian dressing.  They were too Italian dressing
    :))