Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sous vide frozen meat

Options
Just got my Anova and wanna try boneless chicken breast for my first attempt tomorrow. Can I suos vide frozen meat? Is it safe? How long? I plan to defrost the meat for this cook but wondered for future ref. Thank you !
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    In the short time I have had my Anova... I don't think I have put anything in it that wasn't frozen. I just season right before I sear the meat. I usually just add time to whatever the reccomended is to compensate for the meat being frozen since you don't have to worry about overcooking. Good luck, I know you will love it!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Thanks. Just wondered if there would be too much time lag in coming up to safe temp, allowing bacterial growth.
    Rome, GA
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

I wouldn't think it would breed bacteria as long as the meat is vacuum sealed properly. I'm waiting until Christmas to get my SV.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I cook frozen beasts all the time. I put them in zip-loc bags with a pat of butter and seasoning 144 until they reach a core temp of 140 and cook 20 minutes more. Time depends on size of breasts. It's usually around 1:40 to 2 hours. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    no problem SV frozen chicken breasts. Just add an hour cooking time. I would go with 3-4 hours total. Chicken comes out great. I cook at 63 centigrade.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Ok, I feel better now. I'm guessing it is ok for beef too-such as prime aged steaks. I sure as heck don't want to muck that up!
    Rome, GA