Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dough Doh's

Options
CANMAN1976
CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I attempted pizza again tonight except this time I used bread flour instead of all purpose and I did find the dough much softer. I really liked the texture.I cooked on a single raised stone high in the dome on the adj rig extender at about 525 but the dough did get a little over charred underneath but was still soft and tasty.
Any tips on how to get the perfect dough using bread flour? would leaving out the sugar prevent the burning or just reducing the temp?

Thanks!!
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice pies. 

Someone recently mentioned wiping the stone before launching the pizza. Cooled it down just enough to keep it from charring too quickly before the top was done. Can't remember who that was.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    caliking said:
    Nice pies. 

Someone recently mentioned wiping the stone before launching the pizza. Cooled it down just enough to keep it from charring too quickly before the top was done. Can't remember who that was.
    Thanks caliking I think that was skiddymarker and i did do that for the last pizza and It did help but I was just wondering about something Paqman said yesterday and that was leaving out the sugar?? Doesn't the yeast need sugar though to produce gas and create a bubbly light dough??

• caliking
    Options
    I don't think the sugar is necessary - its sort of a cheat/quick fix. VPN rules don't allow for sugar or oil either I think (not being a stickler - just pointing out that its not strictly necessary). Like the title of that book says, all you need is flour, water, salt, and yeast.

From the VPN Americas site:

2. Proper Ingredients: Only fresh, all-natural, non-processed ingredients (preferably imported from Naples or Campania region) are acceptable:

a. wheat flour type "00": highly refined flour which has been milled to standard "00" (doppio zero). A small amount of wheat flour type "0" (Manitoba) is allowed to be added providing the percentage ranges from 5 to 20%. This variation is dependent on the external temperature and is used to enforce the '00' flour and not replace it.
    b. Fresh tomatoes: the following variations of fresh tomatoes can be used: "S.Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-nocerino D.O.P"., "Pomodorini di Corbara (Corbarino)", "Pomodorino del piennolo del Vesuvio" D.O.P." Canned Peeled tomatoes: the recommended tomato is the "Pomodoro pelato S.Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-Nocerino D.O.P.". If peeled tomatoes are used they should be strained, broken up and homogenised by hand. The use of fresh or industrially prepared "Roma" tomatoes ("pomodoro lungo tipo Roma") is allowed.
    c. Mozzarella: Certified mozzarella di bufala campana D.O.P, mozzarella S.T.G. (see attached appendices for suppliers and technical details). Fior di latte: "Fior di latte dell'appennino meridionale D.O.P" or other certified 'fiordilatte'.
    d. Extra Vergin Olive oil (EVO).
    e. Basil: Fresh Basil must be used.
    f. Cheese: Grated Hard cheese must be used Fresh Garlic
    g. Origano: "Origanum vulgare" from the "Labiatae" family.
    h. Sea salt
    i. Yeast: Compressed yeast, biologically produced, solid, soft and beige in colour ,with quite an insipid taste and a low degree of acidity must be used. Yeast must be purchased in packages ranging from 25-500 grams. (Saccharomices cerevisiae) (See Italian Decreto Ministeriale. 21/03/1973 e 18/06/1996). The use of Natural yeast (Sour Dough) is also permitted.
    j. All types of fat must be excluded from the dough.

And if you're not happy with those pies, I would gladly take them off your hands :D

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    Guess Martha Stewart doesn't know her pizza dough... lol.

I Guess using her dough is my mistake,she used AP flour,sugar and a fat(oil).I figure simple isn't always the way to go. I will have to try another dough next time albeit this one isn't too bad in flavor and texture its just over charred. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast.... Get the book. Really informative.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    Options
    Rules are meant to be broken though! I've used Alton Brown's dough recipe a few times  with decent results. I'm no pizza purist - SWMBO and I  thought it was good. The dough was better after 1-2 days in the refrigerator though.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    You really don't need sugar. I use olive oil but not in the dough; I use just a little in the bowl and then roll the ball just to make sure it does not dry out while proofing. Another trick is to use a wet dish towel on top of the proofing container. Time is your friend. Letting the dough rest in the fridge at least overnight will help improve the taste. Another thing I learned is to go easy on the yeast; too much of it will eventually lead to an amonia like taste/smell and does not help improving the texture.

Options
    I strongly recomend this book: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/1580082688

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread

Options
    Thanks for the tips guys and I will check out that book paqman,One question though about kneading the dough,before or after you let the dough rise and for how long?

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer.

"Mix the dough in a stand mixer, by hand or in a bread machine. If you are using a stand mixer, mix it slowly for two minutes, until you have made a ball. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, to allow the flour to absorb the water. Then, mix at a middle speed (3 or 4 on a KitchenAid) for 5 minutes, and slow for 2 minutes."

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

The 10 minutes resting period is called autolyse.

Options
    Generally oil makes for a softer crust, it's your preference, I use olive oil in the crust.  People that add sugar to the dough usually use the dough within an hour or so of making it.  If you make the dough the day before using it enzymes naturally found in dough convert starches to sugar.  Keeping the dough in the fridge overnight also gives you a different texture well worth the extra step.

Gerhard
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No need for sugar or oil in the dough. And as @henapple mentioned, get Flour Water Salt Yeast as soon as you can. I got it for pizza and discovered bread. SWMBO is sure I'm crazy now, but can't argue with the results. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2013
    Options
    henapple said:
    Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast.... Get the book. Really informative.
    Not the book because I have never seen it - but heard it is excellent, the ingredients noted are bang on. Sugar is not needed, and if you use it, 1/2 tsp per pie max. Rogers Silver Star from Costco is great for pies. 
    I do wipe the stone, target temp is around 400-450 for my stone in a 500-550 dome. For my topping and crust, that is the magic ticket. I do use a setter so no idea if the AR makes a difference. 
    I only use oil in a deep dish crust and prefer a non-flavour oil like canola to EVOO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!