Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Feedback on Alton Brown's Boston Butt Brine

Has anybody tried Alton Brown's Brine for Boston Butts - I've used brines for turkeys but never for a butt my friend brined 3 butts last night and smoking today very interested on feedback - 
Thanks much
Doug
·

Comments

• I was always told that the brine would never be able to penetrate the muscle enough for it to matter on a butt which is why most inject. Interested in outcome as well.

LBGE, Char-Griller Akorn, Weber Kettle and a black lab.

Edmond, OK

·
  • cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 913
    edited November 2013
    I did it years ago and cooked them on my WSM, before I had a bge. It turned out fantastic.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,518
    I just read over his recipe, and I suppose that it is successful because of the molasses and high temp at end. Brines don't work as well with fatty meats. The dissolved salt doesn't penetrate the fat, and I don't know how it works w. the connective tissue.

But molasses has a strong flavor, and finishing the butt wrapped and at 300 would really amp the taste.
    ·
  • it will reach the middle but it takes a week. at that point you would probably want to add pink salt to preserve it and then you are making ham.

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    The brine is a good thing. I had to cook 16 butts one weekend and I brined, butterflied boneless butts and turbo cooked without foil.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • The meat was delicious and VERY moist think I'm going to try the brine on my next cook

·