Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We may still be full from Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean we’re not already looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner, too! Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What to do with all these purdy catfish?

Hey Fellas, I wanted to find out what yall would do with this fine catch of blue and channel catfish I caught nightfishing @ the Santee Cooper lakes a few nights ago.  Normally I would cut them into nuggets and whip up some hushpuppies. Then batter and deepfry them, but since I have the egg and unlimited tips and knowledge thanks to you guys I would like to try something different.  So far, the only fish I've cooked was a large slab of salmon on an extra thick cedar plank with some Old Bay blackened seasoning.  With this catfish I would prefer something with more of a cajun flavor, and on the spicy side.  This pic was only half the fish I caught that night, the other half went with my buddy.  The biggest of the night was 27 lbs. with an average of around 8 lbs. 

My dream is to have enough meat saved up so I can cook at the next eggfest and have enough catfish for everyone to enjoy!  Hopefully by next year I will be comfortable enough with my cooks to attempt to cook at eggfest! Thanks Guys for all your help!

catfish.jpeg 762.9K

• You can filet them (or some of them) then blacken them on a CI griddle.
    I do it quit often with Talipia.
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Aurora, Ontario, Canada
  • I've always loved these things. You could use the fish chopped up.

Caledon, ON

• Puree them and feed em to the cats... Blech...never liked fish sorry. I hope you enjoy them :)
    Southern Indiana
  • Fry them!  I know that has nothing to do with the BGE but I love catfish nuggets in some autry's house seasoning.

Columbia, SC

• Quite a haul by the way.  Looks like that was FUN!

Columbia, SC

• Puree them and feed em to the cats... Blech...never liked fish sorry. I hope you enjoy them :)

Wow, you read my mind. I'm just not into fish. I wish I was!

I hope they turn out awesome!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,981
    Just fry them... And have me over. Sometimes good things are better left alone
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I'm in the batter and fry club. I never liked grilled fish but absolutely loved it fried.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,125
    Here's a hush puppy mix you've gotta try.
                        BIG Bill's HUSH-PUPPY RECIPE
    2 c  self-rising corn meal mix
    1/2 c self rising flour
    2 eggs
    3 tsp baking powder
    4 TBS sugar
    2/3 c chopped onions
    dash of salt and pepper
    Chopped Jalepino(optional)
    3/4 to 1c buttermilk(buttermilk is a must)
    Mix dry ingredients, eggs and onion.  Stir in enough buttermilk to make a
    firm batter.  Let sit for at least 1/2 hour, do not stir again. Spoon into hot
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • I guess I will stick with the deep fryer on this one guys. Thanks for nothing haha. LS I may try that recipe, sounds good
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 640
    Here's a recipe for catfish that works quite well on the egg

1. Fillet catfish.
    2. Marinate in red wine for 1 hour.
    3. Attach catfish fillets to cedar grilling board.
    4. Rub with old bay and mustard.
    5. Smoke in pre-heated egg at 225 for one hour.
    6. Remove catfish from board and discard.
    7. Eat board.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 5,439
    I think it was Doc that did catfish on a griddle on his egg. It looked really nice.

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fillet them put Tony Chathere seasoning on some Raging River on some and lemon pepper on some then grill them up.

Nashville, Tennessee