Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Verde GG Style

Options
Grandpas Grub (Kent)
edited November -1 in Soups, Stews, Chilis

Ingredients

2 pounds pork
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 – 4oz can green chili’s (like Hatch)
1 – 14 oz tomato sauce
1 – 10 oz can diced tomatoes
6-10 serrano peppers
6 jalapeno peppers
3 anaheim peppers
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 sweet onion large (or equivalent onion powder)
1 Tbs garlic minced

For browning pork:
1 to 2 Tbs Lard or cooking oil
Salt
Pepper

For thickening when complete:
2 Tbs corn starch
2 Tbs cold water mix 

Instructions

Use a pan or Dutch Oven. Cube pork into smaller pieces. Thick cut pork chops, pork roast, pork loin or Boston Butt all work well.

De-vein and de-seed peppers, protect your hands and eyes. Cut the peppers down to 1/2 or 1/4 size.

In a food processor or blender put in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, peppers (not canned peppers), onion and seasoning. Puree the ingredients to a smooth consistency.

Brown the pork cubes adding salt and pepper for a pleasant aroma. When thoroughly browned add chicken stock and bring to a low simmer. Add puree mix to pan. Add small can of diced chili’s and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or longer until pork is fork tender. Turn to low and continue to cook. Taste, you will need to determine if it needs to cook longer depending on the flavor of the chili’s.

Bring back to high simmer and add thickening mix to the desired consistency, looking for a somewhat thick consistency, again to your liking. This can also be cooked in a Crock Pot but the egg really adds nice flavor. You are ready to serve.

Makes great smothered burritos, verde, beans and cheese, tacos, dip for chips, chili verde quesadilla, chili verde, bean and cheese nacho’s or, hearty soup. Use your imagination this chili verde is great with just about anything. 

Notes

The above mix is a good warm mix and not unpleasantly hot. At times I will put the seeds from 1 jalapeno in the above mix. However, if you leave seeds and veins in it will be very hot and at times bring someone to their knees if one eats a big spoon full, however, it is really good on nacho’s or most anything that has cheese with it and if used sparingly. For a more mild mix, use 5 jalapenos and 5 or 6 serrano’s. To be cautious use less jalapeno and serrano’s but reserve some tomato sauce so you can add more of these peppers to get more heat. Just mix and add to the pot. Additions: This is also good using 8-10 Tomatillos, I prefer without my wife likes them in there. However, if you leave seeds and veins in it will be very hot and at times bring someone to their knees if one eats a big spoon full, however, it is really good on nacho’s or most anything that has cheese with it and if used sparingly. For a more mild mix, use 5 jalapenos and 5 or 6 serrano’s. To be cautious use less jalapeno and serrano’s but reserve some tomato sauce so you can add more of these peppers to get more heat. Just mix and add to the pot. Additions: This is also good using 8-10 Tomatillos, I prefer without my wife likes them in there.

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

Comments