Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I TRIED OUT MY NEW PIZZA STONE YESTERDAY AND IT WAS A TOTAL FLOP. I HEATED THE EGG WITH STONE INSIDE TO A TEMP OF APPROX 500 DEGREES AND PLACED THE PIZZA ON THE STONE. AS I READ IN ONE OF THE EGG RECEIPES, I CHECKED THE PIZZA IN 8 MINUTES AND THE BOTTOM WAS BURNED TO A CRISP...TOTALLY INEDIBLE. HELP!!??

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Freddie,
    did you also have a plate setter in the egg as well?. . . you need to have some barrier between the heat source and the pizza stone to avoid burning like you experienced.. .[p]oh yea. ..ALL CAPS is like YELLING . . .not necessary :)

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Sorry about the caps. I'm a new Egg user. No I didn't have any barrier between fire and stone. What do you recommend?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Freddie,
    ah, there was the problem. . .by not having a barrier, it was equivalent to putting your pizza on a stone right on your stove. ...you should get a BGE plate setter for your egg. .. they aren't expensive, and if you dealer doesn't have them, call bge direct and get one shipped to you. ...its what turns your egg into an 'oven'. . .in a pinch, you could put a big pan of water direct on your grid, and put the pizza stone on top of it. ..that would work better than nothing. .. .i think you will find much better results. ...[p]btw. . .welcome aboard!!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    He could also use 2 stones stacked. He could also lower the temp of his Egg. I've found that different types of dough take different temps. And of course, the first time you try something, it's probably best to take a peek before the recipe time and check the progress of the cook.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    good points old whizzeroo. .. although, will two stones stacked on the grid in its normal position keep them from getting too hot?? . . .i've never seen that before. ..[p]

• tonymark
    Options
    Freddie,[p]The first pizzas I did I set a BGE V-rack in a 9x13 drippan and placed my pizza on a perforated pizza pan and set on the v-rack. The results we great.[p]You can make flatbread on a very hot pizza stone (direct) but it has to be flipped after 1-2 minutes and remove after another minute. That is how I made pita bread at the Fest.[p]TM
  • tonymark,
    What exactly does the perforated pizza pan do? I saw from the Eggfest pictures that somebody else used one. I've always placed my pizzas directly on the stone. Do they still get the same crust on the pan as directly on the stone?

• usa doug
    Options
    Freddie,
    I will be cooking pizza at the Jack Daniel Invitational Saturday. Stop by if you are in the area. [p]Doug

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    tonymark,
    does the pita bread blow up like a balloon when placed on the hot stone in the egg. i did some repairs to an automated oven when i was real young, but dont know the temps of the stones as they went into the oven, i always assumed they were warm before entering the furnase. will you be posting the pita bread recipe

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Freddie,
    A platesetter is worth having for all kinds of cooks. I was doing pizza directly on an inverted plateseter. Worked great for that particuclar recipe. Tried the same recipe again with inverted platesetter and stone. Crust didn't brown enough on the bottom by the time the toppings were done. Both cooks were done at between 450 and 500. So, a lot depends on the dough you are using, how thick the pie is and what is on top. Sounds like you might want to try again and do everthing like you did before--just lower the temp a bit.

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Freddie,
    the set up I used at Eggtoberfest was to put the plate setter in feet down, put the grid on that, pu in a grid extender and then the stone on the grid extender. Ran the egg at 550* to 600* and never has a one of my three pizzas burn. Perfect crispy crust every time. Good Luck with it. Joe

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Smokin Joe, that was some fantastic pizza. I do remember that. Crispy thin crust and spicy sauce. Easy to find good food. Find a mass of people. You had them three deep waiting on the pies. That beef tenderloin you or Senior cooked was fanstatic too.[p]Good to see you again. Tom

• tonymark
    Options
    edbro,[p]I used a perforated pan cause it was all I had the time. It helps get a crispier crust in a conventional oven (without stone). I now own a BGE pizza stone and place setter. I never use a pan. That defeats the purpose of the stone![p]TM
  • tonymark
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I made about 30-35 small pita breads at the fest. (They went with the Gyros I made) I put 5 on the very hot pizza stone at a time. I did have a plate setter in, but I had preheated the pizza stone at 500 F when I cooked the gyro loaves. I bet only 4 out of 30 pitas puffed up, but since they are on for about 3 minutes total, it does not matter. (For the preheat, I place the plate setter in feet up with the pizza stone on top of it. I then covered it with some foil to catch the lamb fat from the gyros. When I cooked the pitas, I removed the foil and the pizza stone and replace the grate and put the pizza stone on top of that.) [p]The dough recipe is rough. I am really never sure how much bread flour I add, until it looks correct. I use the same recipe for pizza dough. Heck, you could call it naan bread if you put melted butter or Ghee on it once it was cooked.[p]Rough recipe:[p]
    1.5 c water
    4 cups bread flour (about that)
    2 tsp (INSTANT YEAST)
    1 Tbsp salt
    Big gulp of extra virgin olive oil[p]Mix everything but last cup of flour and add until it looks correct. I use our Kitchen aid stand mixer, but I have made plenty of dough by hand before also.[p]Note: I said INSTANT YEAST. This is all I use and it requires less yeast and no 'proofing'. Traditional yeast equivalent may be about 1-2 packs of yeast or 3 tsp (this really depends on your yeast).[p]

• tonymark,
    That's what I thought until I saw this pic from the Eggfest:

[ul][li]Eggfest Pizza[/ul]
  • normal_DSCN0944.JPG
    <p />Hey guys...[p]I've had pizza success in my egg-style kooker and agree with whiz that a heat deflector is required. I have TWO pizza stones. I stack the two on top of each other with an aluminum pizza screen between them. The bottom one will get VERY hot because it is directly over the fire. The top pizza stone is not in direct contact with the lower stone because of the pizza screen in between. This keeps the top stone from getting too hot. [p]You could separate the two stones with anything, as long as you are creating insulating gap between them. Maybe fire bricks, etc.. will work. [p]The already mentioned inverted plate setter with the stone sitting on the legs would be ideal. [p]Some guys have one of those infrared laser pointer thermometers that they use to check the surface temp of the stone. 550°-600° is good... but 8 minutes at 800° is too much. [p]You may be able to cook your pizza on a screen, or in a lodge cast iron pizza pan if you are going to use your current set up. That cast iron set on the HOT stone may give you good results, but not exactly the pizza stome experience you may have had in mind.

• smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    Freddie, I cook my pizza on top of platedetter at 550 to 600. about 8-10 minutes. comes out perfect. Dont forget to put parchment paper between setter and pizza

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    tonymark,[p]Thanks for preparing & sharing the lamb gyros at the fest. I hope to see the how to's included in the collective recipe post from the fest. [p]You told me how you made them there but all I can remember is uuhhh.......it contained lamb.[p]Thanks.....
  • tonymark
    Options
    EggcredibleHulk,[p]I plan on posting the gyro recipe soon, I will send it to the collection also.[p]TM
  • dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Options
    usa doug,
    I will see you there. Bringing some friends to show them aroud THE JACK. Looking like great weather!! Pray for Bobbie.[p]Ralph Chambers

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    smokinsop, I use the parchment paper to get the pizza onto the stone and after a couple of minutes I slide the paper out from under the pizza to finish.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    I can certainly vouch for that perfect crispy crust, your pizza`s were awesome, and it was a pleasure meeting and spending some time with you....[p]Wess