Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half Fire Ring for the Large EGG

Options
Heyyy!
We purchased our LGE in July and are a newbie to the EGG community, and will be doing a turkey for the annual TG conclave.
To prepare, I purchased a cheapie 13# frozen turkey to cook as a test. (Hated to cook my first one for Thanksgiving and screw up)
The turkey test turned great; only I cooked it on the "Vertical Turkey Roaster" and it barely fit in the BGE. The processor left a 1 1/2" neck stub.
I used a plate setter, legs up, without the grate and the neck was visible in the upper metal vent. The bird turned out great (photo attached) internal temp at the thigh was 168 F, in 2hrs and 20 min.

My question; Would the cooking temp. and time change If I used a 1/2 fire ring? I would like to cook a larger bird for the T-Giving holiday,

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Could you remove the fire ring, install the grate and set the plate setter on the grate? Should be able to get 3-4 hours of lump in it I would think.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    I guess you put spacers (1" copper Tee's) under the plate setter if you needed more height but less than the fire ring.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options

Oops, just saw it was your first post.

Welcome to the herd. Enjoy the ride.

Mickey has the trick for a great turkey.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I always just set my turkey in a V-rack sitting down.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I always just set my turkey in a V-rack sitting down.
    +1. Having the turkey vertical will put the lower end really close to the coals if you have a large turkey and take the fire ring out.

And yeah, welcome to the insanity! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
    This is my first too. I'm gonna do it this way.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Welcome, @Jeremiah has a good thought, Mad Max Turkey from the Whiz's site produces excellent results. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Welcome aboard Alex - I'm curious about the half fire ring. I happen to have one that I bought years ago, but I thought BGE discontinued that product - being a newbie I just wondered how you knew about it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Hi Alexkin. I use a vertical roaster too and I can usually do a 16 pound turkey with no problem. You need to remove the neck from the bird all the way down to the open cavity and also trim most of the tail off. The top of the roaster should be a little above the turkey cavity to allow proper ventilation through the cavity of the bird, if that makes sense. Also, press down firmly on the bird to force it further down on the roaster. Set the bird in a pan that is about the same size as the base of the bird and add some lemon halves, a few cloves of garlic and some white wine underneath the bird.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Alexkin
    Options
    Thank You!  I think we will stay with the vertical roaster, it makes sense. I might however, try the 1/2 Fire Ring who knows we might have to have another turkey test.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm not clear as to what you mean by half fire ring. Do you mean taking the fire ring out for more head room? Or literally half of a fire ring?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm not clear as to what you mean by half fire ring. Do you mean taking the fire ring out for more head room? Or literally half of a fire ring?
    BGE used to make a 1/2 size fire ring that was only 2 inches tall instead of the regular 4ish.  Like @RRP said I think they have discontinued it.  Prolly because now they notch the new fire ring so the plate setter can sit lower in it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.