Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting at Low Temps?

I found a fish smoking recipe that I would like to try but he starts off at 120 then goes to 140 and finally 175.  I'm brand new to egging and just wondering if anyone is maintaining very low temps with their eggs and how you do it.  On a side note I do have a BBQ guru.  Any help would be appreciated.

God Bless and Semper FI
T

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    120 is pretty low. When I did some sausage last weekend, I started about 5 small coals in my mini, then tossed them in the large, added in my AR and stone, then set my pit controller to 140. Worked really good. Even with a pit controller, you can have some problems keeping it low if the coals want to get going. I usually start 140 and go up 10 degrees every hour for sausage and that seems to work.  You could also use a chimney starter or if you have a concrete patio, just take a weed buner to them to really get them going before dropping the coals in.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• When I did my sausage a couple of weeks ago I actually ran at 100* for about an hour (not on purpose).

I used lump that was already in my egg from the previous nights cook and started with a very small pile of 6-8 medium size pieces; along with two chunks of apple. I ended up having to add a few more pieces of lump to get things up to 130* and from there did not have any problem raising the temp gradually (up to 160*) over several hours. I do not have or use a pit controller; just controlled with the door and daisy wheel.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I smoked some trout yesterday. Light it in the center and put fish on and close lid. It will take a while to get up to 200. I use a maverick and when the temp starts to drop I open the dome and blow on it a little. It usually gets to around 180 or 190 before it starts to go out. I just keep opening lid and blowing. I can keep it pretty low this way. After a while, I'll open vents more and hold it at 225.
    NW IOWA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited November 2013
    Here is my homemade smoker I use for smoking cheese and fish. Bear with me as i try to post a series of pictures. Obviously the shiny was when it was a brand new big juice can. I just place it inside my egg with burning lump in it and then place wood chips on top. It is a cheap smoke generator and produces a low temperature doing it.imageimageimageimageimage
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.